CHAPTER XL

Harrison stayed close by Cassandra's side as they sat together; his fingers gently folded in hers as they talked with Maria and Julia. His mother had been accommodating throughout the evening, trying not to ask too many questions while also trying not to make their discussions awkward. Her life was hers to live, and she was tired of leaving up to people's expectations when it never got her anywhere.

Her personal life aside, she looked around and smiled wildly at the beauty of the dim and bright lights mixing on everyone's face. The ushers seemed to enjoy their job; no one looked tired, and no one was complaining. Julia was the MC for the show, and she had barely said more than ten words since Cassandra arrived. Her eyes kept scanning the pages of the event order even as she contributed short answers to some of the chatter. Cooper had not arrived, but she was sure he would be there before the party began.

Keeping a close eye on her mother, who threw in a few kisses towards her whenever their eyes met, she fell back into conversation with Harrison. A few girlfriends, most of which she never kept in touch with, still came over to kiss and hug her while saying hello to Harrison.

He probably thought all this was coming easy to her, but she really was still afraid of failing. Late in the night, some time ago, she had sat by the pond, discussing by herself, and strangely it always helped. There were doubts in her mind, no question, but there was also a burning need to stop being weak. Her eyes dropped to their hands as they rested on the table, and she raised his hand to her lips so she could place a little kiss on it.

Almost, immediately he turned his head and looked her in the eye. With no questions, he leaned forward and dropped a small kiss on her lips. When he leaned away, she used her free finger to wipe the smudge of red lipstick off his lips, but she dropped her arms and turned back to Julia without a word.

"What's going on with the models?"

She looked up from the list and smiled as she dropped the microphone against the table, but she didn't reply immediately. She whispered something to Maria and listened to her answer before she smiled and returned the stare. "They are fine. The heels they chose and all the lingerie is set. By seven, we would begin the show, and we have a surprise for the both of you."

Harrison was as surprised as she was; he looked at her then turned a bored look over at Maria. Shantel had once joked that she had to watch the friendship between Maria and Harrison, but she really didn't feel threatened in the least. Why? She couldn't say, but she knew in her heart that there was nothing to be afraid of. They were good friends, and Cassandra saw nothing else to alarm her. She couldn't attack or suspect every woman that came near him.

Harrison returned the kiss on her hand before letting go and placing both his hands on his table. "I always thought you never told anyone to expect a surprise. Is it still a surprise when we both know about it?"

Maria shrugged and wiggled her tablet in front of their faces.

"Don't worry," she coaxed as she pushed the tablet into her purse, "It won't be anything degrading or mean. Julia and I placed so much effort into this, and we would really love for you to trust us on it."

All she did was fold her fingers back into Harrison's as she watched and listened for what he had to say. She couldn't say anything because if Julia was part of the planning, no threat would ever work. In hopes that he could cajole them into spilling the beans, she allowed him to speak.

"Fine."

As soon as his words settled in her ears, she dropped her head before turning to give him a bored stare while he sent her shrug as his only reply. Tightening her grip on his fingers, she allowed one long nail to poke deep into his palm and sent him a bright smile when he winced. Then, before he could say another word in protest to her assault on his palm, every bit of warmth dropped from her face.