chapter 9

The next day, Miranda Bailey announced in their attendings meeting that Cristina would be joining the hospital staff again for the time she was here, even though not even Cristina herself how long that would be for.
'Well my plan is to take Owen to Switzerland with me!' Cristina has grinned to Meredith last night. 'I still love him. He has to know that. I've missed him so much and I want us to work.' She smiled.
'Right. Okay but Cristina...' Meredith paused, not sure how to go on. 'Owen's happy, he's with Amelia and they're expecting a baby.' Meredith explained.
'Well then you're going to have to convince him that that's the wrong decision for him aren't you?' Cristina winked.
'But he's so happy with Amelia...I don't know-' Meredith was suddenly cut off.
'Listen I have nothing against mini Shepherd. But she doesn't know how to make Owen truly happy, we both know that.' Mere tried to continue but Cristina dismissed her views and went to play with Zola.

*The next day*
'Owen - I mean Doctor Hunt, can I speak with you please?' Cristina asked with a hint of deviousness to her voice.
'Of course Doctor Yang, give me a second to update this chart.' Owen smiled, completely oblivious to her games.
'Meet me in the on call room down there.' Cristina declared, gesturing to the corridor to their left, and walked away. Owen looked puzzled for a moment at her request to meet in an on call, but decided to brush it off.

Meanwhile, Amelia made her way to the nurses station in the ER to try and find Owen to invite him to lunch in an hour. She was having a generally good day, 2 very successful surgeries and one trauma in the ER that thankfully suffered no neurological impairment. She spotted him walking away from the nurses station and into an on call room on the side of the corridor. She paused and leaned against the station to finish updating her chart. Better ask him in a sec, he looks like he wants a nap.

Meanwhile, Owen slowly pushed the handle to the on call room down and stepped inside, shutting the door behind him.
'Hey Doct- I mean Cristina.' Owen paused. 'what can i do for you?' he asked quizzically.
'so....how's life?' Cristina paused, but did not wait for a reply. 'mini shepherd...you don't find her the least bit boring? she always looks sullen! are you only staying with her coz you knocked her up?' Cristina winked, a glint of mischief in her eye.
'what?' Owen answered defensively. 'of course not. Amelia is not boring, she's brilliant, funny and beautiful. I love her.'
'of course, of course..... the thing is,' Cristina took a deep breath. 'come back to Switzerland with me!' She said with glee. 'i've found you a great job at a hospital round the corner from my house that needs a new chief of trauma!' Cristina seemed very proud of herself. 'Owen, i still love you. i want you in my life.' Cristina smiled.
Owen was taken aback.
'listen Cristina, i'm flattered. really i am. but i don't love you anymore. i've moved on. i'm with Amel-' and with that Owen was cut off by Cristina pressing her lips against his. And of course, this was the moment that Amelia had finished updating her chart and had come to find Owen to ask him to lunch. she had opened the door and laid eyes on the two lip locked, in the middle of the on call room. she gasped, tears quickly springing to her eyes, she slammed the door to the on call room shut and took off down the hall, the tears escaping and streaming down her face.
Owen meanwhile was in shock as to what was happening when he heard her small gasp from the corner of the room and the door bang. by this point he jumped back, and removed Cristina from near his body.
'what are you doing?!' Owen demanded, infuriated. 'i just told you i don't like you anymore! i don't want to be with you! get that into your head! Amelia just saw that! she's going to think all the wrong things thanks to you!' Owen make his way to the door.
'stay away from me, and Amelia. i mean it Cristina.' he scowled at her and set off to find his girlfriend. Cristina lowered herself onto one of the beds and took in everything that had just happened. she sat in shock and tears pricked her eyes.

Owen was running now. down the hall. he glanced to his right and saw a supply closet with the door shut. she'll be in there if she was going to cry. she hates crying in front of people. Owen thought. he slowly pushed the door open a crack, and heard light sobs coming from the back.
'Amelia?' He gently called.
'Get out!' she sobbed. it broke his heart to hear her like that. 'Please Owen! i knew this would happen! it was only a matter of time! i should have seen this coming!' she struggled for air as Owen made his way tentatively into the closet, and lay eyes on her frail figure in a ball on the floor, her knees pulled up to her chest and her heard resting on top of them. Owen kneeled down on the floor in front of her and took her hands. she snatched them away.
'no.....how could you do this to me? to us?' she whispered, referring to the baby inside her belly. 'how long has it been going on? ever since she got here or has it been recent?' She wouldn't let Owen get a word in edgewise.
'let me explain, please Amelia. at least let me explain myself.' Owen begged. Amelia lowered her legs, wiped her eyes roughly, raised her head and sat up a bit taller, a sour expression on her face. she sat indignantly waiting for him to do exactly that.
'she asked me to meet her there, something about a patient i think..' Owen began. 'she asked me to move back to Switzerland with her, she told me she still loved me.' Amelia's eyes darted to the floor as she feared what Owen would say next. 'I told her i don't love her, that i'm in love with the brilliant Amelia Shepherd.' he continued, gently placing two fingers under her chin, forcing her to look at him and smiled warmly at her.
'she tried to convince me that i was wrong by kissing me, but as soon as i came to my senses i pushed her away. i told her to stay away from me and came to find you.' Owen finished.
'you didn't kiss her?' Amelia wondered aloud, trying to fit the pieces together.
'Of course not, Amelia. why would i kiss her, when i have a beautiful and brilliant girlfriend like you?' Owen smiled.
Amelia returned his smile, her mind put at ease and she crawled over onto Owen's lap and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, shoving her face into the crook of it. he breathed a sigh of relief and quickly returned the gesture by wrapping his arms around her lower back, pulling her closer to him.