chapter 16

Since Amelia had gone under general anaesthetic, one overnight stay for observation was compulsory. So, the next day Amelia packed up her small amount of things and reluctantly sat in the wheelchair Owen had brought for her.
"I can walk you know Owen." She mumbled through gritted teeth. "I had oesophageal surgery, not an amputation of my foot." Owen chuckled and replied
"Just enjoy the ride Mia, let's just get you home."

Around half an hour later, Owen and Amelia returned home and Amelia went straight to lay down in bed. The covers still smelt the same as they always did, much like the trailer in general, and this is what Amelia really loved to call home. Despite being overcome with exhaustion, nothing could persuade her to take a nap. She lay there for 45 minutes but the dull ache coming from her incision wasn't strong enough for her to take any pain meds, but it diverted her concentration from anything but sleeping. After around an hour of tossing and turning, Amelia ventured outside to find Owen reading a medical journal on the hammock on the porch of the trailer. He smiled at her presence and asked
"Hey babe, did you manage to get any sleep?" Amelia knew he would only worry if she told him the truth, so she put on a smile and nodded. Craving his warmth, she clambered onto the hammock and curled up against his chest, her ever growing stomach getting in the way slightly.
"Owen, do you even feel as though we're ready for this baby?" Amelia questioned randomly.
"What do you mean?" Owen replied.
"We don't have any room for a nursery, we definitely can't raise a baby in this trailer and we haven't bought anything yet!" Amelia unknowingly caused herself to panic.
"Hey hey, Amelia, don't worry about a thing. I called our real estate agent last week but with your recent surgery we can wait another week. Once we find a home perfect for us we can buy everything our baby will need, and you know Maggie will organise you a baby shower of epic proportions, so I wouldn't worry." Amelia giggled at his words and smiled.
"I love you." She said simply. Owen's heart warmed in his chest at her words and he grinned. He still couldn't see her face as she was snuggled up against his chest but he was sure she would be able to hear his heart hammering in his chest.
"I love you too Mia." The couple lay there for at least another hour, Owen dozed but again, Amelia just lay there, staring at the sky above them. When Owen finally woke up again, he could tell Amelia was awake by the way she was tracing unidentifiable patterns on his chest with her dainty fingers.
"Amelia?"
"Hey sleepy head." She replied.
"Will you marry me?" Amelia fingers froze on his chest and her whole body tensed.
"What?" She let out shakily, now shifting so her chin was resting on her arm that was resting on his chest, staring into his light blue eyes.
"Will you marry me? There is no one out there I want to spend the rest of my life with. You're the mother of my child and the love of my life. I need you in order to stay sane, you love me even when I don't deserve it. I feel like if you were my wife my life would be complete, because I love you, Amelia, and I can't, no I won't, picture my life without you." Amelia had tears pooling in her eyes and one stray one slid down her cheek at Owen's surprise announcement. Owen wiped it away then added "I don't want you to decide now. I know you, you need time to process things. Just please, don't freak out, because I love you and I know you love me too. So just think about it." Then he went back to reading his book as if nothing had happened.

Amelia had sat on Owen's words all day, and that night, when he turned the light out and snuggled closely up to her back, she made her decision. He drifted off to sleep after around 10 minutes of lying there but she again could sleep. She raised her head to read the clock and it read 2:48am. Slowly, she turned in Owen's arms and sat up slightly. She roused him from his sleep by pressing a small, tender kiss to his lips. She felt Owen smile which is what told her he was awake. "And what's the reason for this lovely little wake up?" Owen mumbled without even opening his eyes.
"Yes Owen, my answer is yes. I want nothing more than to be you wife." Amelia confidently stated. At this, Owen eyes flew open and he grinned from ear to ear.
"I love you Mia." He grinned and pressed his lips to hers. She pulled away and rested her forehead against his.
"I love you too Owen."