chapter 13

Amelia POV
'so you're really not going to tell me anything?' i ask for the umpteenth time. Owen punched Nathan Riggs today in the middle of the hallway, and is now refusing to tell me why.
'Amelia, just drop it.' He growls back as his keys fumble into the lock to his trailer. He begins to walk inside but i pull at his elbow in an attempt to get him to spit it out. He glares at me, clearly annoyed - not that i care.
'you've had a problem with Riggs ever since he got here. but you've never told me why, you've told Meredith of all people, but never me.' I retort.
'i don't have to tell you every detail about my life Amelia.' Owen snaps.
'you do when you come home with a bruised knuckle and a face like a slapped ass!' I spit back, my patience wearing thin.
'Listen, isn't it enough that the man was the reason you relapsed at Joe's
that night!' He hissed at me. every time Owen mentions my relapse, i falter a bit. i've always made it clear i don't like
talking about my past experiences, to avoid repeating them. He knows that.
he's about to attempt to go back inside, but i pull his arm once more.
'Owen please! just tell me, you used to confide in me! i just want an explanation, that all!'
i see Owen sigh once more, and he pinches the bridge of his nose, as if trying to ward off a migraine or something. my hands rest instinctively on my ever growing belly, annoyance rising within me that our baby has to hear us fight. At last, Owen comes out with his answer.
'Are you sure it isn't a vodka tonic you want Amelia? Because you can always call Riggs to buy you one of those!' i see anger in his eyes and he instantly regrets what he's said. his comment hits me square in the chest, and i'm not going to lie - it hurt. tears immediately well in my eyes and my eyes dart to the floor. my hands wrap tighter around my stomach and i take a deep breath, staring at the sky, willing my tears to go away. i very slowly turn my body and
make my way back across the decking,
the tears now flowing quickly down my cheeks.
'Amelia wait! i didn't mean that!' Owen tries but i start lightly jogging back towards my car and pull out as quickly as i can. On any usual occasion, i would have driven straight to Joe's, but i can't, i won't do that to my baby. so i drove to the hospital and end up collapsing onto an on call room bed, crying myself to sleep.