chapter 12

Both Amelia and Owen we busy getting ready for work the next morning. Amelia had wrapped Owen's hand in a bandage they had in their first aid kit, and Owen had decided that even though it hurt, nothing was broken and he was okay to operate. Amelia's cheek still throbbed a bit and her eye had turned a deep purple. Every time Owen looked at Amelia guilt washed over his body and he couldn't stop apologising. Amelia dismissed his guilt and kept telling him it was okay, despite the fact she was still a bit shaken up. it's not his fault, it's the PTSD. she kept thinking. however every time she walked into the room they shared, the small dent in the wall reminded her of the scary ordeal that went on in there the night before. Amelia's belly was getting bigger each day, and she was still nervous about the fact that there was a baby inside of her. she was at 5 months now, and could feel her baby moving from time to time.

About an hour later the couple walked into the hospital together, however this time not hand in hand, as Amelia was walking on the side of Owen's bandaged up hand. Owen was wondering if Amelia had positioned herself there on purpose, or whether it was just a coincidence. They made their way to the attending's lounge to begin getting into their scrubs.
'Amelia! what happened to you?!' Maggie squawked the moment she lay eyes on Amelia. the others all looked at Amelia and all began hurriedly asking the same question. there was no way Amelia could have possible tried to cover the black eye, it was a deep purple colour and her cheek remained swollen and red, so she had anticipated the questions from her co-workers.
'nothing. i'm fine' she quickly brushed off their worry and tried to get past the crowd to begin getting changed.
'no, what's wrong with your face? did someone hit you?' Mere worriedly questioned, her panicked sister mode taking over.
'just a little accident, nothing to get worked up over.' Amelia huffed, clearly getting agitated by all the questions that she knew were coming. she finally barged past and began her morning routine of changing into her scrubs. as she turned her back on her friends, all eyes turned to Owen, who just sighed and looked sadly at Amelia.
'i experienced some PTSD last night and accidentally hit Amelia when she tried to stop me.' Everyone gasped.
'it was an accident! i was asleep! i already feel awful so please none of you don't make it worse.'
'i told you it was nothing! so go about your days!' Amelia shot back.
Everyone took this as their cue to leave and began to go about their daily tasks once more.

Everyone that day gave Amelia strange looks when she walked down the corridor, her swollen red cheek being the first thing they saw when they looked at her. Chief Bailey finally spotted Amelia, and called her into her office.
'listen Shepherd, i'm not here to assume, i'm only here to protect you. i can already see from your body language that you don't want to talk about this, so i'm not going to pry. but i have to ask - he's not hitting you is he? or were you hit by someone else?? help me out here, because i've heard so much gossip today from the residents and interns that i don't know what to think.' Bailey finished.
'no he's not hitting me Chief, we just had a little mishap, that's all. it was an accident.' Amelia replied.
'Are you okay?' Bailey asked, her eyes running over her injury.
Amelia sighed a shaky sigh, and replied 'I'm fine, this isn't about me, it's about helping Owen.'
Bailey looked at her uneasily, but gave in and dismissed her from her office.

A few hours later, Amelia found herself alone in the bathroom, staring at herself in the mirror. her hand rose gently to probe her face, but winced at any sort of contact. she sighed and exited the bathroom.

'Hey' Owen spoke softly to Amelia, as if scared to say something.
'Oh, hey' Amelia replied, smiling meekly.
'Haven't seen you much today' Owen replied.
'Yeah, sorry, i've been in the neuro office all day, trying to figure out a tricky tumor.' Amelia wasn't exactly lying - she did have a horrible tumor that she had to attempt to remove from a young girl, but she wasn't upset about being isolated into that room for that day, a little relieved even.
'how's your face?' Owen asked, worry evident in his voice.
'Owen, i told you, it's fine.' She answered with a small smile. 'How's your hand?'
'Oh it's fine, the pain is easing. Can we talk....after work?'
Amelia hesitated. 'Sure, my shift ends at 6.'
'Mine too, meet you in the lobby?' Owen asked as he checked his beeping pager that paged him 911 to the ICU.
Amelia nodded as he dashed away to deal with his coding patient.

Later that evening, Amelia strolled into the lobby and around 6 with her hands in her pockets and her head down, attempting to get her hair to cover her face. she looked up and spotted Owen, and he greeted her with a warm smile and a kiss on the temple.
When they made it home, Amelia was sat on the island in the kitchen filling out some paper work and Owen poured himself a cup of coffee.
'Listen about last night, it won't happen again, i'm so sorry Amelia, that i hurt you, i'll never forgive myself. but it was triggered by a patient that came in yesterday after being in a helicopter crash. it just brought back horrible memories of Megan.'
Amelia listened carefully, and rose from the high stool she was perched on.
she slowly made her way over to her boyfriend and wrapped her arms around his lower back, the baby bump coming between them slightly.
'It's okay Owen.' she simply replied.
Owen breathed a sigh of relief and returned her hug.
'I love you, you know that right?' Owen whispered into her hair.
'of course, and I love you.' Amelia replied and embraced him a little bit tighter. The couple pulled apart and shared a gentle kiss that only lasted a few seconds, but was warm and reassuring for the both of them.

Keep trying to update for you guys as regularly as i can! hope everyone is still enjoying:)