viii. Alec

Originally, this was only supposed to be about a quarter of a chapter, but after writing everything that I thought needed to be said, I decided to split it up into just two chapters. So, here's chapter eight! I know, you guys are probably freaking out over the updates that, for once in my life, are actually on time. I hope you guys enjoy!

viii. Alec

When I had finally made my way back to the dorm, I had summoned enough courage to confront Jace. Luckily for me, he wasn't even there. Clary, I though, the word seeming to leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I sat down at the desk and plugged in my laptop. It was only three, so I decided to work on some homework. I had a paper due on Thursday for my writing class and I hadn't even started it. As I always liked to say, procrastination was my forte.

A few hours later, I checked the time and jumped up. It was already 7. I really couldn't say I was surprised. When I wrote, hours turned into just minutes. It was like the words were flowing out of me, desperate to be written.

I walked into the bathroom and took a quick shower before I went to the club. Then again, a 'short shower' for me was about half an hour.

When I emerged from the steam (I loved burning hot showers), I realized that I hadn't remembered to bring my clothes in with me. I listened closely, making sure no one was outside the door, and exited, only a towel around my waist.

I began rummaging through my dresser, trying to find something that looked at least decent on me. My usual style was sweaters and ripped jeans. Not much compared to Magnus.

I heard the doorknob move, "Jace?" I asked, rapidly trying to put a random shirt on. Turns out, when you're in a rush, you might mistake the head hole for an arm hole.

I heard laughing, but I was currently being blinded by black fabric. "Alec, what are you doing?"

"Putting on a shirt," I answered, slightly miffed. I pulled it back off and tried again.

Jace looked me up and down, a smirk on his face. "Nice abs, Alec," he smiled. "Have you been going to the gym more?"

I shrugged. The stress of college made me work harder at the gym, I supposed. My face felt hot form his compliment. I knew it didn't mean anything, I knew it couldn't mean anything, but I still felt a pang in my heart. The aching seemed to emanate from my bones, and it weighed more than the world.

Alec..." Jace began, softly. I felt the sincerity in his tone.

"What?" I asked, nervously.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm really sorry about what I said. It wasn't right. I wish I could take it back," he trailed off for a few moments. "I just want you to know I'm so sorry."

"Jace," I intervened, through gritted teeth. Every part of my body wanted to reach out and grab him. "It's fine. I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have said some of those things either." I reached into my dresser and grabbed a pair of blue jeans and underwear. "Let's just forget it happened."

Jace smiled at this. "Alright, buddy." I walked back into the bathroom to change into my pants.

"Alec?" Jace asked from outside the door.

"Yeah?"

"Do you wanna hang out tonight? I'm not doing anything, and we really haven't spent any time together."

I almost agreed, but then I remembered Magnus. I felt a tug in my heart, but I couldn't tell if it was from the thought of leaving Jace, or the thought of leaving Magnus.

"Sorry, Jace," I said, as I exited the bathroom. "I've got plans already."

Jace's smile turned into a frown. "Alec, c'mon-"

A knock at the door interrupted him. I took the few strides to get there and opened it, a bit surprised to see Magnus. It was 7:55, but I didn't remember asking him to pick me up. I felt a bit dressed down compared to him, but wasn't I always?

He had on a gold, shimmery shirt, a bright blue jacket, extremely distressed jeans, and sparkly, golden boots. The look was completed with his hair in disarray. I didn't know if it was unintentional, but I decided in that moment that that was how I liked hair best, by a landslide.

"Magnus?" I asked. "I thought we were meeting there?"

Magnus smirked. "Well, I have a car, and if you had walked, you would've kept me waiting for another half an hour. I kind of banked on you being late, if we're being honest."

I was slightly offended, but not enough that I actually cared. "I'm not that late," I grumbled.

"Alec," he sighed, a slight smile on his face. "Last time I came to pick you up, you were still putting on your shirt."

I shrugged. "I guess you're right. At least for this time." I added with a wink. I spun around, realizing that Jace was still there.

"Uh," I said, not wanting to look at his disappointed face for any longer. "I'm just gonna go."

Jace nodded, and I could tell he was angry. "Go ahead," he said, his voice deathly calm.

"Jace... " I began, pleading with him through my eyes. "I'm sorry. We can go tomorrow?"

Jace gave a disgruntled shrug and stalked back to his bed. "Maybe," he muttered.

Magnus raised an eyebrow at me, probably wondering what the hell was going on. I decided to just leave, Jace would get over it eventually. Hopefully eventually came sooner than later. Jace was my best friend. I couldn't bear to lose him.

Magnus began walking with me as I closed the door, leaving Jace behind. "You alright?" Magnus asked, gently touching my arm. The place he touched seemed to bloom with electricity; it was something that I had never felt before. My feelings of anger, confusion and disappointment with Jace seemed to vanish.

"I'm fine. I'll be fine." I gave him a smile, trying to show him that my statement was true. I would be fine. I knew that things would never work between me and Jace, but Magnus gave me some sort of hope.

I felt Magnus's hand intertwine with mine, his soft hands against my rough, calloused ones. It felt like it was meant to be. So many times I had imagined Jace and I in scenarios like this, but Magnus felt different. All I could do was hope that this would be a good different.

"Is this okay?" he asked me, lightly squeezing my hand as if he were indicating what he was talking about.

"Yes," I told him, giving a squeeze back to him. "It's very okay."

Magnus smiled, then ran his free hand through his hair, and I was sure that I had never felt such warmth flare up in my heart for someone. Even Jace.

"Alexander Lightwood," Magnus spoke softly, as if he were saying it to himself. "You are extraordinary."