xxiv. Magnus

So, just a heads up, there's only 2 chapters left after this one, so I hope you all enjoy them! I'm honestly pretty upset that it's all coming to an end because this has to be my best piece I've written so far. Thank you all for all the feedback and please don't forget to vote and comment! I love and appreciate you guys so much! (p.s. I love this song so much, so please feel free to check it out;))

xxiv. Magnus

"Who the hell was that?" I asked Jace, glaring. "You made it sound like Alec would want to talk to me, but he's on a date right now?"

Jace sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Shit," he grumbled. "I'm sorry, Magnus. I forgot about him. This is Clary's fault."

"What do you mean?"

"She mentioned it earlier this week. Clarkson is in one of her classes and I guess he had just seen Alec around campus. Since Clary knew that you two had broken up, she promised him a date with our one and only Alec." He gave me an apologetic smile as I crossed my arms, glaring at him.

I groaned. "Seriously, Jace?" He shrugged. "Is he already over me? I mean, has he already moved on?" I ran over the thoughts, trying not to think about Alec moving on. I felt like I was slowly drowning without him, and if it had been easy for Alec to get over me, maybe I wasn't as special as he had made me feel.

But the way I felt when I was near him, the electricity coursing through my veins, connecting us together; the way nothing in my entire body felt as right as when I was with him; it was nothing like I had ever experienced in my life. I just felt off balance and without purpose without him.

"Oh," Jace said, his eyes widening, grinning slightly. "I don't think that I've ever seen anyone as heartbroken as he was. Well, still is. He only went on the date to make Clary happy. And a happy Clary is a happy Jace," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "So you think I have a chance to get him back?"

Jace nodded. "Magnus, please never ever mention me getting mushy with you, but I think you and Alec belong together."

I raised an eyebrow. "Jace, having a heart?" I questioned. "Impossible." I knew that he was being sincere, though, and it meant a lot.

He grinned, shaking his head gently. "I know," he joked. "It must be very hard to believe." He looked at me, and I could sense his pity. "Magnus, please, do not leave Alec hanging this time. He's lost too much to lose you, too."

I nodded. "But Jace," I said. "What if he ends up liking him? What if the date goes well?" I frowned, looking down at the table. "What am I supposed to do then?"

Jace leaned over, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Magnus, trust me," he said. "If he's on a date and his date isn't you, then I really don't think that his date will go well."

"Are you sure?" I asked, nervous. What if Jace was wrong and it was already too late? What if Alec never really thought much of, that I was just his first boyfriend? Maybe I was easy to get over.

Jace smirked, standing up. "Magnus, if you keep asking me all of these pointless questions, you'll be here forever. It's time for you to do something about it, don't you think?"

Standing up, I gave him a weak smile. Even though I knew I loved Alec, I didn't know if he would still feel the same for me, and I think that the thought of that was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

"I guess you're right about that," I told him, so nervous that I thought my heart would beat right out of my chest. "I think it's time for me to go win him back."

Jace walked around the table and punched me lightly in the shoulder. "I don't think that I've ever agreed with you more."

~~~~~~

After Alec and I's first big argument, we had both walked to the park between both of our apartments and unexpectedly met there and resolved everything. It was the place where we had both said our "I love you's", the place where he had asked me to be his boyfriend. The park was where many of our firsts had happened, and here I was, sitting on a lonely park bench, trying to drum up the courage to call him.

He had left me countless voicemails apologizing after we broke up, and his final one still echoed through my head. He told me that he never wanted to see me again. His voice had been filled with so much finality that it nearly pushed me off of my breaking point.

But what if his voicemail was the end?

I groaned, resting my face in my hands as I leaned back on the bench. I couldn't lose him.

I pulled out my phone again. I had been doing this for the past forty-five minutes. Pulling my phone out, putting it away, criticizing myself for being stupid enough to lose him in the first place, and then spiraling by thinking that there was no way that Alec would ever love me again.

"Stop it," I told myself sternly. I needed to get on with it. I mean, what was the worst that could happen? He could only just reject me even more and leave me even more heartbroken than I thought it was possible to be.

"C'mon, Magnus," I mumbled, opening my contacts and scrolling down to find his name. I used to have it saved under funny nicknames that I would change every week and send them to him. He acted like he hated it, but I knew that he secretly enjoyed it.

Just two weeks ago, it had been changed to 'The Karate Kid' (I even changed his picture to Jaden Smith) after he grabbed someone's hand on the sidewalk and flipped him on his back for trying to steal what he liked to call my 'purse'.

I liked to refer to it as a satchel.

Now, though, his name was just Alec. With only a little hesitation, I finally clicked the call button. It rang once, and I'm pretty sure that it was the longest ring I've ever waited through.

But miraculously, he picked up.

"Hello?" he asked, and I could hear the annoyance in his tone. I didn't know if it was with me, or with someone else, but I knew that I couldn't give up now.

"Alexander," I said, breathlessly. "It's me, Magnus." I waited for him to say something. Anything would have been fine, but it was just silence.

"Can we talk?" I asked, not knowing what his response would be. "Please?" I added. "I know you're on a date, but I need to tell you something."

"Yes," he finally said, his words tumbling out like a waterfall. "Of course we can talk. Right now?"

"No," I said, choosing my next words very carefully. I couldn't mess this up. "I know you're on a date right now-"

"No, I'm not anymore," he grumbled. "That's over."

"Oh?" I asked and I couldn't hide the smile. "Okay, well, would you like to meet me at the park? I promise that it won't take long if you have better things to do or something-"

"Magnus," Alec interrupted my rambling. "I will be at the park in five minutes, okay?"

"Okay," I replied. "I'll see you then." Then, I hung up, pacing back and forth in front of the bench. Five minutes was too far away, but too soon all at once.

I knew I only had one chance left.

If I messed this up, I didn't know how I would go on without the one and only Alexander Lightwood.