xvi. Magnus

Yes, yes, I know self promo is kinda annoying, but if you guys are enjoying this story, I've just uploaded another malec fic titled "Remember", so please go check it out! :) also, I'm only 10 followers away from 300, so if you'd like, you can follow me too! Anyways, here's chapter 16. I hope you all enjoy it, and have a wonderful night/day :)

xvi. Magnus

I stood at the edge of the entryway, waiting for Alec to get home. I had changed into more appropriate attire for a night out.

Appropriate for me, anyways.

I heard footsteps echo from the stairway and tried to look as nonchalant as possible before Alec walked in. The doorknob slowly turned and Alec walked through.

"Hey-" Alec said, then stopped suddenly, looking me up and down with a look of surprise on his face.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Uh," Alec said. "I think you forgot pants?"

I laughed. "Oh, Alexander," I sighed. "These shorts are designer." He gave me a skeptical glance. "This is a look."

Alec stopped to put his bag on the counter and shoved his phone into his pocket. "Won't you be cold?"

"Don't be silly," I said. "I've got you to keep me warm."

He smiled. "As nice as that thought is, I don't know if it's true."

I rolled my eyes. "How were classes?"

"Fell asleep in Algebra," he said. "Thankfully, the guy next to me woke me up before my Professor noticed."

"Again?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm fine, Magnus," he assured me. "How was your day?"

I shrugged, debating for a moment whether or not to tell him about Jace's visit. I decided against it. Bringing up Jace might only ruin everything I had planned. "It was alright. Pretty boring." I flashed him a flirty smile. "Now, stop stalling and go get ready."

"Ugh," he groaned, brushing his hair back with his hand. "Does that mean I have to borrow your clothes again?"

I nodded. "Hey," I snapped. "I think your butt looks fantastic in my leather pants."

Alec's face turned a bright red hue as he walked towards my room with me following close behind. "Hey," I began, treading carefully on the subject. "Maybe you could go back to your dorm and get some jeans?"

"What?" Alec asked, poking his head out from behind the closet door. "You don't like the leather anymore?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"That's definitely not a problem for me," I smirked as he resumed changing his clothes. A few seconds later he walked out of the closet wearing a pair of bright red leather pants and a tight black button-up.

"You've run out of black pants," Alec deadpanned, looking unamused. He tugged at his shirt and I couldn't help but grin.

He finished lacing up his combat boots and gave me a pleading look. "Do we really have to go out tonight?" He stood up, putting his hand in mine. "We could stay here," he trailed off, the corners of his mouth devilishly turning up.

"As tempting as that is," I said, pulling him closer and planting a kiss on his forehead, "I'd like to show you off, Alexander."

"Show me off?" He asked, seeming genuinely confused. Before I could say anything else, his phone went off. He looked at it frowning, then returned his attention back to me.

I reached up and stroked a piece of hair out of his eyes. "Yes," I told him. "You're my boyfriend, and you're extremely handsome."

He looked a bit unsettled, but nodded. "Okay," he sighed. "Let's go."

I squeezed his hand and we walked out the apartment. "Where are we going?" Alec asked me.

"I'm going to show you a night in the life of Magnus Bane," I gave him a huge, wicked grin.

He only replied with a weak smile. I began to worry if something was wrong, but figured that he was probably just unhappy with having to go out.

We made our way down a few blocks in silence, holding hands. I turned the corner, pausing before a door to one of many clubs we were going to stop at that night.

"Alexander?" I asked him, turning to face him. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," he muttered and I knew he was lying.

"Alexander-"

"Magnus," he said back angrily. "It's fine."

I took a step back, confused. "What's going on?"

He shook his head and crossed his arms. "Jace visited you today?"

My face went cold. "How did you know-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked. "Why did you lie to me?"

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "I was going to tell you tonight," I told him. "He talked to me about wanting you to come back to your dorm. He's worried about you, Alec."

He still looked miffed. "He texted me," he said. "Jace said that you wanted me out."

"No," I said. "Alec, I'm glad you want to stay at my place, but-"

"If you wanted me gone, why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't want you to go," I explained, but it didn't seem like Alec was listening. "But you're still in college, and I want you to succeed. Jace is your best friend-"

"I don't want him," Alec frowned. "I want you. I thought you wanted me too."

"Alexander," I said, grabbing his forearm. "I want you more than I could even put into words. I think you're missing the point, though."

He relaxed at my touch. "Magnus," he said. "I don't want to go back."

"I know." I took his hand again, rubbing my thumb in his palm. "You've got to face Jace. He still loves you, Alec. I know it for a fact."

Alec's face looked even more pained than before. "That's the problem," he mumbled.

"What?"

"I'm scared, Magnus." He pulled away from me, rubbing his arms. "I'm scared that I'm still in love with him."

The words stung deeply. I was speechless. Of all the things I expected him to say, this was not one of them. Maybe deep down I knew it would be true, but I had tried to convince myself that it couldn't be.

"Magnus, say something." I didn't. "Please," he whimpered, his voice breaking.

"I think you should go," I told him without looking him in the eyes.

"Where?"

I shrugged. "Anywhere," I said flatly. "Just away from me."

"Magnus," he pleaded, grabbing my arm. "I love you."

I recoiled from him. "Do you?" I said, venom filling my words. "Do you actually love me? Because if you did, you wouldn't be worried about Jace."

"Magnus-"

"Alec," I said through gritted teeth. "Just leave."

He looked like he wanted to say more, but he stopped himself. "Go," I repeated.

He turned away from me and began walking the opposite direction. I expected to feel pain, like my heart was being ripped out of my chest.

I only felt numb.