xiv. Alec

Hey guys! What do you think of the new cover?? I really hope you like this chapter, it was extremely enjoyable to write. I hope you all have a lovely day, and please feel free to tell what you thought. Thank you!! <3

"Magnus?" I said, standing up.

"Oh, uh, hey," Magnus responded as we both walked towards each other. He turned away, rubbing the back of his neck. "I didn't know you were here, I can go-"

"No," I interrupted, grabbing his wrist gently. "Please stay," I said, letting my heartbreak flow into my words. He turned to fully face me, his bright green eyes searching my blue ones.

"Alec-"

"Magnus-"

We both smiled. "Okay," Magnus said. "I'll allow you to go first."

I raised an eyebrow. "Allow me?"

"Mhm," Magnus nodded, a small smile resting on his face. I realized I hadn't let go of him.

"I'm sorry, I was being an idiot," I began talking rapidly, the words just flowing out of me. "I really like you. I want you. I know for a fact that I don't deserve you at all, but I hope you'll give me a second chance."

Magnus looked away, biting his lip. Even in the dim lighting, I could still see small tears in his eyes.

"You, know, Alec," he began. "I don't think I've really ever cared about someone as much as I care about you." I almost didn't believe him, I mean, honestly, it's not like I was anything special. But the emotion in his voice led me to believe he was telling the truth.

He shook his head, looking down at the ground. "I don't want to lose you," he said. "I don't think I could stand losing you."

"Magnus," I interjected. "You won't lose me." I placed one hand on his chest, my other still wrapped around his wrist. "I'm right here."

"I need you, Alec." His voice broke as he said my name.

"I need you too, Magnus," I said. "I'm so, so sorry." I wrapped my arms around him, one hand grabbing the back of his neck and pulling him into the crook of my neck.

"I want to be with you, Magnus," I whispered into his ear as he clutched tightly to the sides of my sweater as if I was the only thing holding him to earth.

And maybe I was.

"I'm broken, Alec," he said. "My parents were right. I'm just a stupid boy who deserves nothing." He pulled away from me and faced the other way.

"Your parents were wrong," I told him desperately. "Magnus Bane, you deserve everything."

He turned to face me, one arm crossed across his chest, his other elbow resting on the arm. He brought his fist up and pressed it against his lips. "Except you," he said, tears filling his eyes. "I do not deserve you, Alec Lightwood."

I walked towards him and placed my hands on his shoulders. "Magnus," I said, taking a deep breath and mentally preparing myself for the sentence I was about to utter.

"I love you."

Magnus stopped, looking right at me, much like I had just told him I had murdered someone.

"You what?"

I stepped back. "Never mind," I said, speaking rapidly. Bad idea, bad idea, I thought. I had originally told him this on Christmas Eve and like before, he was shooting me down. "Just, uh, forget about it."

"Alec," he said, grabbing my forearm. "Please just say it one more time." I gave him a quizzical look. "Please."

"I'm completely in love with you, Magnus." In that moment, everything around me seemed to fade away. Jace was gone, my parents judgement seemed to not matter, and I felt free.