chapter one

"The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine."

I woke to the burningly sterile smell of the hospital. I looked down at the IV shunt in my hand, multiple tubes piercing my skin. Bruises mottled every inch of visible skin, and I winced as I flexed my hand, the muscles screaming in protest.

Panic engulfed me when, as hard as I tried, I couldn't remember what happened; why I was here, beaten to a pulp, laying in a hospital bed. Tears welling in my eyes, I sat up straight, gritted my teeth, and ripped the tubes and wires from my arm. Immediately, an alarm began to sound, and blood seeped from the now open wound on my hand. Spots swam before my eyes when I stood, and the dull throb in my leg intensified to a fiery pain. I screamed as I put my weight on it, and hit the floor before I could take even a step.

The blue curtain that surrounded my bed was flung open. I bit my fingers to muffle my cries, trying not to draw attention to myself. For all I knew, I had been kidnapped, or tortured, or worse. I ducked my head down as a pair of white converse appeared around the side of the bed, followed quickly by several grubby nurse shoes.

"Is she okay?" A shaky voice said above me.

"Yes, Mr. Luthor." Another voice, a woman, soothing and soft. "Please move, so we can help her back onto the bed."

Someone crouched in front of me, and I looked up into a kind pair of brown eyes. The nurse was dressed in dark purple scrubs, and her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail.

"Hey, Ruth." She smiled. "We're going to lift you back onto the bed."

I felt tears spill over onto my cheeks, and her face swam in front of me, partly from fear, partly from pain. I recognized the man's voice from somewhere, and it made me uneasy.

"Why am I here?" I whispered, pushing away the hands that were trying to pick me up. Another nurse, this one in pink, pressed a gloved thumb to my hand, where I had ripped out the shunt, slowing the flow of blood. Distracted by this, I let the other nurse close enough to grab me.

"Don't touch me!" I shrieked, as she lunged, and caught me around my waist. I kicked and writhing. "Let me go!!"

"Ruth, we need you to relax." The nurse in pink said. "It will all be explained once we get you hooked back up to everything."

Someone had pressed a call button, and footsteps pounded down the linoleum. I screamed as someone held my leg down. A needle jabbed into my thigh, and cool sedative overtook my veins. The room slowed, and I relaxed, my body too heavy to hold up.

The pink nurse looked nervously at the man in the corner of the room, who looked as though he was either about to laugh or punch something. He was watching the orderly who had sedated me like a hawk as he restrained my wrists and ankles.

"Is that really necessary?" He asked, stepping forward jerkily, as though pushed from behind. "Do you need to tie her down?"

The orderly nodded, and cinched the velcro tight around my wrist.

"Yes sir. It's protocol. She's officially a danger to herself."

I smiled gently, the drugs slowing my brain down. I still couldn't figure out why I was here, or who this man was.

"Why am I here?" I asked vaguely. The nurse in pink looked towards the strange man, who nodded reluctantly.

"You're here because you were caught in the fight downtown." She paused, gauging my reaction. "You were found with severe blood loss, trauma, and a concussion, which is why you don't remember any of this. Your eidetic memory was impacted."

I wracked my brains, trying to recall any fight, or injury. I came up frustratingly blank. My very last memory was taking the train into downtown Metropolis-and then waking up in the hospital.

"Where are my parents?" I asked, the thought suddenly occurred to me. "And who was fighting? There's no gangs or anything here."

The nurses exchanged another look with the man, who shook his head. One of them took my now limp hand, and began searching for veins.

"We're going to hook you back up to the IV. It's got painkillers in it, so your leg should feel better in just a moment." She said, casually changing the subject.

"I don't want painkillers; I want to talk to my parents!" I protested weakly. "Where are they?"

The nurse in pink ignored me, and quickly jabbed the straw like needle into my vein, and flushed it. The taste of saline filled my mouth, the saltiness matching my tears. She stroked my sweaty hair away from my face, and straightened.

"Give us a buzz if you need anything. We'll be right outside." She said, and gestured towards the other nurse.

I sobbed as they quietly exited the room, pulling the curtain closed behind them. I was left alone with the mystery man.

He was dressed in a grey suit, his ginger hair barely brushing his collar. Again, I got the feeling I had met him before. He seemed too familiar to be a total stranger.

"Who are you?" I asked shakily, as he walked forward and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Your saviour. Your benefactor. But you can call me Lex." He said grandly, sweeping his arms out. "I found you, all huddled up and covered in blood."

"You didn't answer my question. Why do you seem so familiar?"

He closed his eyes, and ran his tongue over his lips. "Alexander Luthor."

A sharp spark of recognition ignited in my brain. Of course. His name was plastered over everything in Metropolis, his voice on every radio station. Lex Luthor, Jr. The richest, smartest man in Metropolis.

"Where are my parents?" I changed the subject, hoping to catch him off guard. I didn't. He shook his head, and took my good hand in his.

"I'm sorry, Ruth. They haven't been able to find them in the wreckage."

More tears spilled down my face, and dripped onto the pastel green blanket. I wiped them away furiously.

"So I have no one?" I said tearfully. "I'm an orphan?"

Lex reached out and stroked my hair affectionately. I leaned into the touch, angry, and confused.

"No." he disagreed. "You have me."