chapter seventeen

buckle up kiddos. here we go.

Any semblance of sleepiness drained from me. My senses were on high alert-everywhere where my skin touched Lex's felt as though they were receiving electric shocks.  Lex's mouth quirked up at the corner as he took in my expression. I was stunned, to say the least.

"What do I do to you?" My voice was barely above a whisper. I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the answer. Lex leaned forwards, his breath tickling the shell of my ear.

"So much, baby. You do so much to me." He murmured. "I'm a bad man, Ruth. And you're so innocent. All I want to do is corrupt you."

He pulled away, one hand snaking under my shirt to rest on the flat of my back. His calloused fingers caught on my smooth skin, and I    let out a trembling breath. It felt natural; like something inside me was pulling me closer to him. His thumb stroked circles over my spine, and I closed my eyes, tipping my head sideways.

"I don't know what to say to that." I said weakly.

"Then don't say anything." Lex replied, leaning forwards so his forehead was touching mine. I nodded against him, and he slid away, kissing the tender spot where my neck met my shoulder. I inhaled as a sharp pain permeated my skin.

"It's alright." Lex kissed my forehead. "It won't stick around long." He tapped the spot with a finger, and I put my hand over it.

"What did you do?"

Lex chuckled darkly, and tugged on my pouting lower lip.

"Of course you've never had a hickey before." He mused. "I just want everyone to know exactly who you belong to."

I leapt out of bed and into the bathroom before Lex could stop me. Sure enough, there was a bruise on the delicate skin of my neck. Lex appeared in the doorway, lounging casually against the frame. His hair was tousled, and his normally perpetually stormy face was relaxed-satisfied, even. He looked like the cat that got the cream.

"You gave me a bruise!" I said, turning to him. "On my neck!"

Lex stepped into the bathroom, his hands outspread in front of him. He did not look even slightly apologetic.

"It's called a hickey, darling. It will go away. But not before I give you more." He said, taking my hand in his. I gulped as he raised the inside of my wrist to his mouth, biting gently on the thin skin. Again, there was a sharp pain, and then he released it. Sure enough, there was a spreading dark spot over my tendons.

"So sweet." He said. I stepped back as he stepped forwards, until I was backed against the wall. Both of his hands trapped me, effectively pinning me. "So pure. Hmm. You're the opposite of me, darling.."

"You're starting to scare me." I said, and Lex cocked his head at me, his eyes dark and glinting in the low light. For a moment I thought he was going to bite me again, but instead, he threaded his fingers through my hair.

"I'll be gentle, Ruth." He said. "Never be afraid of me. You're the one person I would never hurt."

I choked for air.

"You don't mean-not tonight. I can't." I stumbled over my words, my tongue suddenly clumsy and slow. Lex tugged my hair gently, my head tipping back. I stared up at him, my eyelashes fluttering. "Please." I said.

I felt like a cornered animal, trapped in an opulent cage. My heart was in my throat, and my belly burned deep within me. There was an urge to run, to escape the predator in front of me, but there was also the fire in my hands and face that told me to stay put. Lex smiled, and I imagined him with fangs, poised and ready to strike. Instead, he kissed me hard, his hand in my hair pressing me to him.