chapter eleven

The first thing I realized when I woke up was that I was well rested. It was something I hadn't felt in months, and for a split second, the weight on my chest lifted, and I could breathe. I stretched languidly, feeling my muscles pull tight across my arms. I looked down and ran my finger over the raised nail marks.

The second thing was that I was alone in bed, the sheets next to me rumpled, but empty. They were cold, and I frowned, wondering where Lex had gone. There was no sign of him in the room, and I couldn't hear the rise and fall of his voice, no matter how hard I strained my ears.

Rain was pelting the windows, the sun shining silver through the heavy, dark clouds. I shivered, and took the blue cardigan from my bed, wrapping it tightly around myself. The air felt angry and oppressive, like the whole world was enraged. It wasn't a gentle rain, the kind that cleansed and washed away the grime of the days before. It was a harsh rain, punishing everything it touched.

There were a few pairs of fuzzy socks in the chest of drawers, and so I pulled them on, rubbing my hands over my thighs to dissipate the goosebumps. I was still wary of my wound, nervous to put on leggings or anything that would put pressure on it, so I left my legs bare, save for a pair of satiny pink shorts.

The house seemed eerily quiet, without a single sound of human life gracing the empty hallways. I was too shy to go down to the kitchens alone, so I wandered a little, finding myself in what Lex had called the grand room. It was where I assumed he held his parties, judging by the bar in the corner. There was a raised platform at one end of the room, and I sat on it, staring up at the glass ceiling. Water pooled on it, distorting the sky above.

Somewhere on the floor above, footsteps sounded. My head snapped towards the sound, relief pouring through me that I was not alone, after all.

I made my way back to the second floor, passing the closed door of Lex's office. As if activated by my presence, a voice came through the heavy oak.

"....He's killed someone else. A whole lot of someone elses..." The voice moved away, the rest of the phrase lost to me. It sounded like a man, vaguely familiar, like I had heard it once on the radio, years ago.

A tattoo of feet cane close to the door, and I leapt around the corner, just in time. An older woman stepped out, followed closely by Lex, who seemed stiff and tense.

"I'll see myself out, Mr. Luthor." The woman said, and turned on heel. Lex wrinkled his nose as she walked away, his version of the middle finger. I stifled a giggle, but it was too little, too late. Lex whipped around, his eyes searching the hall until he saw me, half-hidden around the corner. He clenched his teeth, and a ball of fear knotted in the base of my stomach. He strode over to me, seeming taller and bigger than ever before. I swallowed hard, my eyes wide.

"How much did you hear?" He demanded.

"N-nothing." I stuttered.

"What did you hear, Ruth?" He repeated, punctuating each word with another step, until I was backed against the wall, my shoulders pinned by his hands.

"Nothing, Lex, I swear!" I cried, trying to wiggle out from his firm grasp. His fingers dug into my skin, and I gasped in pain.

"Ruth, answer me truthfully." His gaze bored into my eyes, and I couldn't look away.

"Nothing. Nothing! Just something about someone killing again. That's all! Please, you're hurting me." I bit my lip, blinking back tears. I was terrified, unable to think straight. Lex searched my face, and then sighed, relenting his grip.

"Don't ever eavesdrop on my meetings, Ruth. Some of my deals are top secret, and if anyone knew you had heard anything, they could have you killed."

I rubbed my shoulders, and nodded, looking at the ground.

"I understand." I said.

"I don't think you do." Lex said. "I know you're curious, that you want to know more about what I do. I can't let that slide, dear. You must always be ignorant."

"I said I understood." I snapped. "I don't need it spelled out for me."

Lex seemed taken aback by my change in attitude, but it was all I could do not to sit down and scream, or storm off. I was a turmoil of emotions. Instead, I folded my arms, my face impassive and stony.

"Stop that." He said.

"Stop what?" I asked, scowling. "I'm not doing anything."

Lex grabbed my face, and shook it slightly.

"Stop!"

I wrapped my hands around his wrists and tried to pull his hands from my face, but he held fast. I remained mute, and he tapped my cheek lightly with his fingers.

"Ruth, I'm sorry I snapped." He said, his face apologetic. "I worry about you."

I pouted slightly, but said nothing. Lex growled, and let me go, propping a hand on his hip.

"This won't last." He said. "You're not the strong, silent type. I don't know what you think this will achieve."

I narrowed my eyes, and lifted my chin, looking away from him. I heard his shoes cross the hardwood, and a hand grabbed my face again, pulling it to look at him.

"Ruth." He said sternly. "Stop."

"You left me last night." I finally said. "I woke up and you were gone."

My voice sounded soft and sad, although I meant it to come out hard.

"There was an emergency ." Lex explained. "I didn't want to leave, believe me, darling girl. But I had to. I had to."

"What was the emergency?" I blurted without thinking. "Who died?"

Lex shook his head, and poked my nose, the light behind his eyes flaring up again.

"Nothing for you to worry about, sugar. Have you had breakfast?"

I shook my head no. I wasn't hungry. My stomach was twisted in knots. Lex was hiding something, something more sinister than data reconfiguration or his weapons plans, and I had a sinking feeling it involved me.

"Are you hungry?" Lex asked, taking my hand. "Are you feeling alright?" Lex pressed the back of his hand against my forehead and chest. "You're not feverish."

"I feel fine, I'm just not hungry." I said, batting his hand away. He raked his long hair away from his face, his fingers mussing the long curls.

"I have work to do, my darling, but you're welcome to read in my couch again." Lex said, reaching to open the door of his study. "Provided you don't distract me." He winked, and I blushed.

"I won't." I promised sincerely.

Lex led the way in, pulling the blanket away from the couch, and gesturing me down. I sat, and he wrapped the soft wool around my shoulders. I smiled up at him, and he knelt down and pressed a quick kiss to my lips.

"There." He said. "All settled. Rest, if you can. You had a rough night."

I nodded, and snuggled down.

"I'll be right here if you need me." He said, and kissed my temple before standing up.

I smiled at his back as he pulled out his chair and began scribbling away at paperwork. Life had taken such an odd turn for me, but I was happier than I had ever been. I thought on what Lex had said the day before-that we were meant to be with one another, and in that moment, there wasn't anything I believed more.