chapter forty four

By the time we pulled up to the mansion, the sun was dipping low in the sky. Long shadows intertwined with the gravel of the drive, casting everything into a blurred purple glow. I was sleepy, the day having taken its emotional toll. Every time I let my eyes droop, I saw Tom and Harper standing above me, needle and knife in hand. It was somewhat better knowing they were behind bars-actually, it was as though a three tonne sack of bricks had been lifted from my shoulders. Still, though, the mere thought of that day made my hair prickle.

What was worse, though, was the image of Lex bringing home other girls. I had no right to be jealous-none. It was well before I had come into his life, and really, what billionaire doesn't pull? I couldn't blame them, and I couldn't blame him, but that didn't make it any easier to stomach.

It was too late for a proper dinner, but too early for bed, and so we sat in the study, on the plush couch. My head and shoulders were on Lex's lap, and he played with my hair with one hand, the other tapping away on his laptop. I had a battered paperback in one hand, but I was barely paying attention to it. I couldn't even remember what it was called, let alone what it was about.

A sharp buzzing made me jump. Lex's phone was ringing on the arm of the couch, the screen lit up.

"Luthor." Lex said. I turned back to my book, the little printed words swimming as my attention wandered. It was hard to keep focus when we were so close.

Lex listened for a second, and then went back to typing one-handed. "I don't think that's going to be possible." He said, and shut the lid of his computer. "But I would like to see us collaborate."

He placed his free hand onto my knee, his thumb drawing circles on the bare skin. Now I really wasn't reading. Despite the warmth of the fire, I shivered.

"I can set my R and D team up for a meeting next week." Lex continued his conversation, dropping his hand to my hip bone, his long fingers tracing where it protruded from my skin. "Call my assistant to set it up."

He dropped his phone onto the seat next to him. I pretended to be absorbed in my book, although I was sure he could feel my heart pounding.

"I know you're not reading." He took the book from my hands, setting it on the floor. "You're not a very good actress. What's on your mind?"

He drew his hand from my hip to lay flat on my belly, just under the hem of my shirt.

"Nothing." I lied nervously. "Who was on the phone?"

"A business partner. Tell me what you're thinking, Ruth. I know something's up. I can feel your pulse racing." He tapped a finger against my sternum.

"I was, um, just thinking about you and-"

"And the other girls?" Lex finished my sentence, his voice teasing. "One would think you're jealous."

"One would be right." I sat up, turning to face him. My knees pressed into the cushion on the couch. "But I know I have no right to be. I'm not, like, mad. I just can't stop thinking about it."

Lex took my chin in his hands, looking me right in the eyes. My lashes fluttered a little, but I kept I stared steadily at him.

"And what is it about them that you can't stop thinking about?"

I swallowed hard. Heat from the fire was playing against my back and legs.

"Um." I stuttered. "Just...."

"Eloquent as ever." Lex teased. He leaned forwards, our lips nearly touching. I almost fell off the couch, overbalancing. Lex caught my wrists, drawing me to him. "You can say it, baby. What's got you so worried?"