chapter twenty eight

Hospitals at night exist on a whole other plane. You know how gas stations past midnight and the beach in the early morning seem to warp reality? It's like that in hospitals, too. The lights dim but never go out, and no matter where you are, there is a constant backdrop of heart monitors. It's depressing and beautiful all at once.

I didn't sleep much. Due to my concussion, the nurses woke me every hour to ensure there wasn't further damage to my brain, and the pain in my chest, no matter how dulled, kept me awake. Lex slept in the chair next to me, his quiet breathing the only thing keeping me from going absolutely insane.  I wanted to be outside, in the cold air. The stale scent of cleaners and old blood were making me sick to my stomach. It reminded me too much of the time before, of long, lonely nights.

I stared out the window as the sky slowly turned blue, and then purple, and then the sun shone through the warped glass. I blinked, my eyes sensitive to the light. Ultimately, though, I was happy. Morning was here. I was only hours away from getting out.

The soft sun woke Lex, who jerked awake as I sat up. He looked ruffled, like a baby bird, and I laughed out loud.

"Good morning to you too." He said, his voice raspy. "Are you feeling any better?"

I nodded my head, and then winced at the movement, clutching my forehead.

"Ouch." I complained. "I'm feeling way better. Can you page the nurse?"

Lex stared me down, his eyes raking my face. I squirmed a little. He could suss out any lies I told in a heartbeat.

"You're feeling 'way better." He said, unimpressed. "Really. You're not saying that just because you want to go home?"

I pulled my lips into my mouth to stop myself from smiling. Lex rolled his eyes, and pressed the back of his hand to my forehead, and my chest.

"You don't feel hot." He said.

"Why would I, with broken bones?" I asked, giggling.  Lex tapped my cheek with two fingers, and smiled.

"Don't laugh at me." He scolded. "I'll get the doctor. You're not to move."

I waited for a full five seconds after he left the room to leap from the bed, dragging my iv pole after me. There was a bathroom connected to my room, and I closed and locked the door firmly behind me.

I leaned over the sink and inspected my face. The stark lighting washed me out, but even so, I could see the veins on my eyelids and neck clearly. My eyes were sunken in, and I looked sallow and pale. I'd lost weight after the accident, I knew that much, but not to this extent; I looked fragile and sick. No wonder Lex fretted after me so much. I would do the same.

I splashed cold water onto my face, letting the chill wake me up a little. The pain meds were still in my system, and they were slowing down my brain. I needed to think-there was something niggling at the back of my mind, but I couldn't figure out what.

"Ruth?"

I swore under my breath, and opened the door. Lex was standing in the doorway with the doctor, his face stern and impassive. I smiled weakly.

"You're not in bed." Lex said pointedly. The doctor laughed a little, and stepped out from behind Lex. He looked remarkably unrumpled for having pulled a night shift, and I envied him.

"How are you, Ruth?" He asked. "Mr. Luthor here says you're feeling a little better."

"Way better." I corrected him. "I'm feeling way better."

The doctor-Adam-gestured for me to sit on the bed. I complied, and he shone a light in my eyes. I blinked, the brightness almost too much, but he smiled and patted my head.