christmas eve

December 24

The snow fell thick and fast the day before the party. The decorations and worksmen arrived early in the morning, and I awoke to the sounds of hammering and laughter from the decorators. Overnight, the grand hall had transformed into a winter wonderland-it was dripping with crystal icicles and glittering tinsel. Ribbons wound around the banister and pillars, and in the center of the room a fifteen foot Christmas tree presided over it all. The skylights were snowed over, and the world outside glimmered white. I flew down the stairs, still in my pajamas and a huge cardigan. Lex was standing in the middle of the room, hands on his hips as he surveyed the scene. I ran at him, hugging him from behind.

"It's so pretty." I said into the back of his sweater. He laughed, prying my arms from his middle and turning around.

"You're awake!" He said. "Sleep well?"

He knew I had. Just as I was dropping away, he had leaned over and admitted to dosing my nighttime tea  with sleeping pills. I could hardly fault him for it, especially considering I had, in fact, slept soundlessly. He had been worrying for days that I was getting sick again, after a string of sleepless nights.

"Hmmm." I narrowed my eyes at him. "I'm too excited to be mad."

"Go eat something, and get ready. Guests start arriving in less than an hour." Lex checked his watch. "And stay out of the way of the kitchen staff!" He called after me. I ducked around a huge holly wreath, heading down towards the kitchen.

It was chaos. Extra staff were running around, dressed in tuxes or dirty chef coats. I managed to snag a mug of coffee and a bun before slinking into my usual breakfast nook in the back of the kitchen. It was out of the way, and as I ate I watched the preparations. It was nearly four in the evening, to my shock. I hadn't meant to sleep the entire day away-usually I was so excited for Christmas that I was out of bed before nine. It had to have been the sleeping pills, I reasoned.

"Miss Ruth, Mr. Luthor sent me to tell you that he laid out a dress for you upstairs." A young man in a suit was panting. He pressed a finger to an earpiece, listening intently. "Roger. I'll be up right away." He said to whoever was on the other end.

I put my mug in the huge industrial dishwasher, and made my way back upstairs, weaving through decorators and servers. A string quartet was warming up in the back of the hall, and I paused for a moment to listen to them. The violinist launched into a high, sweet rendition of the Coventry carol. The whole room stood still as he played, until the spell was broken by the sound of a shattering glass from downstairs. I scampered away as workers descended on the mess, escaping to the peace upstairs.

Lex was nowhere to be found, but a there was a deep blue, white collared dress on the bed, a green cable knit sweater, and the same white socks and shoes I had worn before. It looked appropriately chaste and Christmassy for the party downstairs.

I tugged my hair up into two braids, dressing quickly. There were voices coming from downstairs, the happy chatter of guests.

Still, Lex was gone. I waited for him, leaning over the railing to look at the arriving people. Everyone was at least eight years older than I was. I spotted Bianca as she handed a white fur coat to an awaiting attendant. She was wearing a skintight red dress, her dark hair swept up into a bun. I fiddled with the silver cross on my neck-I had replaced the gold chain with it the second I got home. The weight of it was far more comforting. The tracker chain sat in a glass box on the dresser, where it would stay until I could shake the unease that came with wearing it.

"There you are." Lex snaked a hand around my waist, pulling me flush to him. I rested my head on him, watching as Bianca took a delicate champagne flute. Lex followed my gaze, and I fed the rumble of a laugh in his chest. "Don't worry about her. She's in the past. Try to enjoy yourself. But not too much. I'm keeping you with me the whole time." Lex winked at me, and I blushed.

"Sure I won't embarrass you?" I teased. Lex kissed the top of my head, and led me down the stairs. The crowd began to applaud as they saw him approaching.

"Welcome!" Lex opened his hands. "Open bar, music, snow. Just what the best holiday party needs. Enjoy!"

We descended into the swirl of people. Music played, although it could hardly be heard. Lex stopped and introduced me to countless people. I found myself with a champagne glass more than once, and soon my head was a little fuzzy. Lex could tell I was feeling the effects, because he took a half-empty flute from my hand, setting in on a passing waiters tray.

"Alright, enough of that." He said. "We don't need a repeat of last time."

I stuck my tongue out at him, but nodded in agreement. I was being wary of any business man who tried to give me wine this time.

"Wonderful party."

I whirled. Bianca was behind us, hand propped on her jutting hipbone.  Up close, she looked even prettier. Her cheekbones were smooth and flawless, a gold bracelet dangling from her tiny wrist. I felt like the ugly duckling next to her.

"I'm glad you're having a good time." Lex kissed her on both cheeks.

"How could I not, when you're throwing the party?" She flirted at him. "Gorgeous, as always. The party, I mean." She winked.

Without thinking, I wove my fingers through Lex's. He squeezed my hand, and Bianca's eyes flicked down at the movement. She quirked an eyebrow, a sleek, insinuating look crossing her face.

"You must love staying with Alexander." She said to me. "He's a fantastic...host." She dragged out the pause. I felt my face grow hot.

"I love watching him work." I shot back. "The study is such a pretty room."

Lex's grip on my hand tightened warningly. I clamped my mouth shut, but I knew I had won the exchange. Bianca herself had said Lex hadn't let her into the study, and I had slept in there my first night in the mansion.

"We must be getting on. I'm sure I'll see you around, Bianca." Lex said diplomatically. The second she was gone, my entire body relaxed.

"I don't like her." I told Lex. "I know you like, love her, but she condescends to me."

Lex sighed.

"I can tell. Do try not to cause trouble, my love. You have a fiery streak, it appears."

"I don't like when people think they're smarter than me. Except you, cause you really are smarter, probably more than anyone in this room." I giggled. Lex wrapped an arm over my shoulders, leading me to a bench next to the tree.

"You look flushed." He said worriedly. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes. I feel goooood. Stop fussing at me. I would tell you if I was sick." I wrinkled my nose happily. "Look! Mistletoe." I pointed above us.

"Not here, Ruth." Lex tapped my nose. "Much as I wish I could, I have appearances to keep up. Although, I suppose Bianca will be whispering in ears about us."

"Sorry." I said. "Did I do something bad?"

Lex shook his head.

"No, no, my love. Most people disregard Bianca as a gossip. Besides, reaching out for comfort is never bad. You do it little enough."

The twinkle lights from the tree distracting me, and I gazed up at them in awe.

"I don't have a present for you!" I realized out loud. "And Christmas me is tomorrow!"

Lex stroked my cheek, his eyes soft and adoring. I tipped my head sideways, deciphering his expression.

"Don't worry. Having you with me is gift enough."

A/N: sdfjkl sorry it's short! turns out typing with a broken collarbone is like. basically impossible. anyways i wanted to have a little Christmas Eve chapter. This is basically stand alone, and the story will pick back up next chapter!