chapter fifteen

Lex was gone for less than thirty seconds when he reappeared in his office.

"I forgot that I'm not letting you out of my eyesight." He explained, leaning in through the open door. "But I really need to do this meeting."

I swung myself off the desk, and made my way over to him. He watched me walk over with a dark glitter in his eyes. I reached up and held onto the lapels of his suit jacket, leaning back to look him in the eye.

"Are you worried about me?" I asked teasingly. "Or are you worried I'll be a problem?"

He licked his lips, and took my chin in his hand.

"I'm worried you'll be a distraction." He said darkly. "And not just to me, either. I saw how that man on the elevator looked at you."

I raised an eyebrow at him. His face had clouded over, and his hand had tightened on my face, his fingers biting my skin.

"He wasn't looking at me like that." I disagreed. "Ow, Lex" I grabbed his wrist, and he loosened his grip.

"I think I know more about that than you, little one." He growled. "I'm leaving you my pager. Lock the door behind me. If you need anything, get Mercy."

I let go of his jacket, and he tugged my face upwards, kissing me firmly. I smiled into it, because despite everything, despite his apparent possessiveness and tough outside, I knew who he really was. He could act tough around me, but all I could see was the man who held me every night and chased away the nightmares.

Lex closed the door firmly behind him, and I turned the lock. Knowing I wasn't supposed to leave put me on edge, but I sat on the couch, and tried to nap anyways.

That lasted all of about two minutes. I was too riled up, too filled with excited energy to sit still. I looked around the huge, empty room for something to occupy me. Anything would have worked. A book. A scrap of paper to doodle on.

My gaze fell on the silver laptop, still sitting on Lex's desk.

I opened it, my heart in my throat. I knew I was in dangerous territory. If he didn't want me overhearing even a word of his phone calls, he certainly wouldn't want me going through his personal laptop. There had to be classified LexCorp files on there, stuff that no one but him knew about. Files on his research, on his technology.

There might even be a file about me.

That last thought was the final straw. I opened the laptop with shaking hands. It dinged, and the LexCorp logo came up. I hit the enter key, and the logo was replaced by an entirely black screen.

"Welcome, Lex." It said pleasantly. "Please enter your passcode."

I rolled my eyes at my own stupidity. Of course it was passcode protected. I doubted it would be anything simple, either.

I closed the lid of the laptop again. I didn't even want to try, in case it alerted Lex of failed passcode attempts. I wasn't that desperate to know what he had dug up about me, if he had dug up anything at all. If he didn't know my medical history, he may not know anything.

Then again, this was Lex. It would be incredibly out of character for him not to go searching into my past.

I looked at the desk, wondering if there was anything else I could amuse myself with. There wasn't. It was pretty much just a three-sided glass rectangle with a computer and not much else. Pretentious? Yes. Exactly the type of desk you would image Lex to have? Also yes.

I flopped onto the couch, staring up at the ceiling. For the first time in ages, not only was I totally and completely alone, I was bored. Being around Lex all day was like basking in the sun-you were warm and happy while he was there, but when he was gone, the entire world went cold. I was experiencing that coldness for the first time. It was like all the colours had gone flat. Lex was a drug-and I needed him.