chapter six

We left Metropolis that afternoon. Lex decided-and I agreed, on some level-that being in midst of the city was too much for me too handle. I couldn't recover mentally with the constant reminders of the accident around me. Every time a helicopter passed, or an unstable piece of rubble hit the ground, I collapsed into a panic attack. As for my physical wounds, Lex reassured me that should I need it, a doctor would be helicoptered to the manor right away. Luxuries of the rich, I supposed.

Obviously, helicoptering me to the country house was out of the question, and so, at three in the afternoon, I found myself in the passenger seat of Lex's black sedan. It was sleek and black, and it drove so smoothly I felt like we were hardly moving at all. Lex hummed along to the radio. I smiled, and turned it up a little. He turned his head slightly, watching me out of the corner of his eye.

"I liked your singing." I said. "Don't stop on my behalf."

Lex took an unmarked exit, and the sun disappeared behind a thick curtain of trees. Through gaps in the foliage, I saw fences and low red buildings. Smoke poured from the top of a few, but otherwise they seemed abandoned. The whole scene was pastoral, so wholesome it felt like it had come from a children's book, or a Monet painting.

"We're close." Lex said, slowing to take a steep turn. "We're on bare bones staff for the moment, so it will just be me, you, the cooking staff and the grounds crew. And the cleaners once a week."

"Wow, only them, huh?" I subconsciously tugged on the bandage wrapped around my injured hand. Lex grabbed my left hand, and pulled it onto his lap, driving one-handed.

"Don't pull on it, you'll make it worse." He said, without taking his eyes off the road. "I'll duct tape an oven mitt over your hand, if that's what it takes to get you to stop playing with it."   

I tried to pull my hand back to my side, but Lex kept it firmly in his grip, maneuvering the winding road with only his left hand. I gave up and went limp, watching the scenery out the window. The wood was thinning now, giving way to a manicured lawn. The asphalt turned to fine gravel, and we came to a stop in front of the country manor. It was huge, and I had to clench my jaw to keep it from hitting the floor. It was as though a castle from the British highlands had suddenly been placed in the middle of the states. The bricks were weathered, and there was ivy growing up one side, but it was the prettiest building I had ever seen. Part of me couldn't believe I was going to be living there.

"I'll grab the bags from the back. Can you make it up the stairs?" Lex asked, opening the driver's door. I nodded, and slid out into the warm air. It was fresh, and it didn't stink the way the air in Metropolis did; of oil and dust. It was clean and I took a few gulps to calm my racing heart.

"You alright?" Lex said, coming around from the back of the car. My new suitcase was in one hand, his briefcase in the other.

I nodded, and followed him up the uneven stone stairs, hissing as I put weight on my leg. Lex held out a hand for me, and I gratefully took it, pulling myself onto the top step. The intimidating oak door stood slightly ajar, and Lex pushed it open, leading the way inside.

If the outside was old-fashioned, the indoor décor was a strange fusion of old and new world. The foyer was large and richly decorated, and beyond that, a huge glass room soared over three stories. There were two staircases that led up onto a balconied second floor, curving their way down beneath a crystal chandelier.

"It's amazing." I breathed. Lex smiled, and shifted his weight.

"I made a lot of changes once I inherited it. Your room is upstairs. Follow me." He led the way up the red-carpeted stair, and through a complex series of halls, until we stood outside my bedroom door. It was simple and white, and a name placard had been hung on it, engraved into silver.

"I'll leave your stuff here. If you need me, I'm in the next hall over. The kitchen is on the first sub-level, once you get hungry. I'll come find you later to change the bandage on your hand."

I looked down at the ratty white gauze that covered my wound. The corners of my mouth turned down without my control, and I pouted at it.

"Lex?" I called, as he began to walk away.

"Hmm?" He stopped and leaned against the wall. "What do you need, darling?"

"I-nothing. I just wanted to apologize. For being such an imposition. I know you're busy, and if I ever become too much, my feelings won't be hurt if-"

Lex raised a hand.

"I'll stop you right there, Ruth. You're not an imposition. And I'm not too busy to take care of someone in need."

"But there's so many other people who were affected by the attack. Surely there's someone more deserving than me." I looked down. "I don't deserve any of this."

A lump appeared in my throat, and I fought back tears-something I had gotten altogether too used to. There was guilt like a ball of lead in my chest, and so much suppressed grief I was surprised I didn't combust from it all.

There was silence for a moment, and then a pair of arms crushed me so tightly I gasped. Only this time, instead of dissolving into tears, I hugged him back, fiercely.

"There is no one-and I mean this, Ruth- no one more deserving than you. And trust me darling, I am helping others. I have so many plans, ripening slowly into place. So I forbid you from worrying about others. Leave that to me." He held me away by my shoulders.

I smiled, and grasped my injured hand in the other. Lex's face was earnest and the most open I had ever seen it.

"Shall we fix you up?" He took my bad hand. "I think I have gauze in my bathroom."

He tucked my arm between his elbow and his side, still holding tightly to my hand, and led me though the veritable maze of the manor. Open windows blew country air into the house, and let in buttery yellow sunlight.

I could tell the moment we turned into Lex's hallway. The walls were a rich red, and the carpet turned to hardwood flooring. It was less homey and more like the chamber of some cruel medieval king. His room was much the same as in the city-unmade bed, papers and news articles strewn across the desk.

The bathroom, in comparison, was spotless. I hopped up onto the marble counter top, and admired the gold fixtures on the sink.

"Fancy." I pet the tap with one finger. My reflection peered back at me, distorted and discoloured.

Lex smiled, and drew a box of gauze out of a drawer. He mumbled something to himself, then straightened, and held his hand out. Obediently, I placed mine in his. His nimble fingers untied the soiled bandage and tugged sharply. I yelped as the small fibers came free from the dried blood.

"Sorry." Lex said, and dropped the bloody gauze onto the counter. I pulled my palm up close to my face, and wrinkled my nose at the sight of the cut. It was jagged, and swollen. The skin around it was an angry red, mottled with bruising.

"We'll keep an eye on it, just in case." Lex said, taking my hand again. "I disinfected it pretty well, but the last thing we want is an infection or blood poisoning."

"Blood of my blood." I blurted out. "That's what you said, just now, right? We learned about it in school. It's an old oath."

Lex wove the gauze skillfully around my hand, refusing to make eye contact.

"Not just that. I mean, yes, it's an oath, but it means lots of things. Blood of my blood means family. It also means something warped and distorted."

I frowned. Something was ringing an alarm bell in my head, but I couldn't place it. I shook it off, and took my hand back.

"How do you know so much about it?" I asked, sliding myself to my feet.

Lex laughed, and leaned back onto the counter, his arms tense and braced behind him.

"I'm a jack of all trades. I like to dabble in history, politics, religions. All those wonderful, worldy things."

"Well," I said, wrapping my arms around myself. "You'll have to teach me about them sometime."

Lex smirked, and tilted his head down.

"Don't worry, my dear. You will be well educated in them soon. Now go rest." He shooed me away. "I have work to do."