chapter twenty seven

WASHINTON, D.C

"What are the conditions?"

I sighed, tipping my head back. The roar of the crowds behind me was growing stronger by the minute. There had to be hundreds of people gathered on the lawns, shouting and waving handmade signs. I couldn't read them, but judging by the red paint and horrible, cartoonish alien heads, they weren't kind. Lex looked at his watch pointedly, and I groaned.

"We've been over them, like, five hundred times."

It was true, if a bit hyperbolic. The drive to Washington had been several hours, during which Lex had drilled into me his three conditions.

"So let's go over them five hundred and one times." Lex said. "You aren't coming in with me unless I know you're going to behave."

I rolled my eyes, and sighed again, but conceded.

"Fine. Condition one. I'm within arms reach at all times. Condition two/ I don't talk to anyone, unless you say so." I paused.

"Condition three?" He pressed.

"Condition three. I don't ask any questions. I just don't see-"

Lex cut me off.

"You don't have to. Just as long as you follow the conditions, you'll be fine."

He gestured me forwards, and we began walking up the long marble steps. I could feel the eyes of the crowds on my back. There was a barricade stopping them, but it didn't soothe me any. It felt like they could sense my guilt-because I was guilty. Being here reminded me of how much I had to be grateful for. Most, if not all of these people knew someone who had been injured or killed. The only reason I was alive was because I had been in the right place at the right time. It weighed on me. I could have been behind those barricades. I could be screaming, hoping my voice was heard.

Lex's assistant was waiting for us at the top of the stairs. As we approached, she handed Lex a phone and began detailing the agenda of events. Lex was only half-listening, his gaze wandering over the crowded halls. Mercy kept throwing glances over shoulder at me, her face unreadable.

"Will she be alright?" She finally asked. Lex looked up from the phone, and nodded. He handed it back to Mercy, and wrapped an arm around my waist.
"She'll be fine." He made eye contact with someone down the hall, and waved, smiling. "Ah, Senator, I was hoping to talk to you."

Senator Finch was walking towards us. Her gaze flicked to Lex's hand on my waist, and the way i was leaning into him. I felt my face burn as she raised an eyebrow.

"Mercy, why don't you go on in and make sure no one takes my seat?" Lex waved a hand at his assistant. She hesitated, and then nodded, walking away.

Finch crossed her arms, and waited. Lex was practically thrumming with excited energy. Tension filled the air, so thick I felt it pressing down on my shoulders.

"I see you've brought your ward." Her voice was slick and insinuating. "How nice for her to get out of that mansion you keep her locked up in."

I stiffened, and Lex drummed his fingers along my hipbones.

"Isn't it? I thought she might like to see how her government is treating the man who ruined her life." Lex smiled. "And I think the people outside ought to know the truth, too."

"The truth?" Finch asked. Lex smirked, tipping his head to the side.

"Mm. yes. The truth. That a certain junior senator blocked a vital import license. Who would have guessed? The chair of the board is soft on security."