chapter forty five

The sharp pop of a dying log startled me from a light slumber. For a moment, I was disoriented-the room was dark, lit only by the fire's orange glow, the flames casting strange patterns onto the bookcases. I was curled awkwardly on a couch, my back drenched in sweat. I propped myself up on my elbow, rubbing my eyes. We had fallen asleep in the study-or, at least, I had. Lex was sitting behind me, an arm looped over my shoulder, still working on his laptop.  The blue light from the screen made his face look gaunt and eerie.

"What time is it?' I asked blearily.

"Midnight, last I checked." Lex said, without taking his eyes from the screen. "Sleep well?"

"Why didn't you wake me?" I sat up fully, stretching out my arms,

"I tried, believe me. You were out cold." Lex smiled, and tilted the lid of his computer down. "I had work to do, anyways."

"At midnight?"

"The world of business never sleeps." He looked down as his phone buzzed. I caught a glimpse of a photo, one that looked like a house, or a street address. "But you need to. Up to bed with you."

"You're not coming?"

His phone buzzed again, this time an illegible text. My heart fluttered with familiar unease as he flipped it to silent. His eyes kept darting to it.

"I have to make some calls. I may need to leave early this morning, so don't be alarmed if you wake up and I'm gone."

"Lex, what is going on?"

He crossed to me, and brushed the hair from the shoulder. I stared up at him. His eyes were black pools in the darkness. "Bed." He offered no explanation, and I didn't push for one. It was late, and though I knew it wasn't true, I decided my unease was due only to my tiredness and the frightening fingers of shadow that flickered across the floor.

***
True to his word, when I awoke in the morning, the bedroom was empty, Lex's half of the bed made up neatly. There was a note on the pillow, written on heavy paper. I picked it up, unfolding it carefully.

I've gone to Metropolis. I will be home sometime in the late afternoon. Call me when you wake up-the number is on my desk.
Don't go outside.

It wasn't signed, or even addressed to me. I sighed, and set it back down on the pillow. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours since he'd promised not to keep secrets, and here we were. He had been acting so strangely the night before, and my mind couldn't help but go to the darkest possible place. He had admitted, openly on the horrible night that he had killed before. Was he making another move on Superman?

My heart was in my throat as I punched the number into his desk phone. I hoped it was his cell-I couldn't remember whether the number went to his LexCorp office or his personal phone. I held my breath as the dial tone sounded.

"Luthor." Lex answered, and relief blew through me.

"It's me." I said, cradling the phone with both hands. It sounded quiet on the other end-he was probably indoors.It didn't mean much, but it was something. "I got your note."

"Did you sleep well? I tried not to wake you when I left."

"I slept fine. Where are you?"

"Research park." His voice was growing distant. "I'll be home in a few hours. Try not to get into trouble. And stay inside, Ruth."

"Wait-" The line cut out. I stared at the dead phone, tempted to throw it across the room. Instead, I sank into the wide desk chair, head in hands. Something was wrong. I could feel it. The ring on my finger dug into my forehead, and I lowered my hands to look at it. An idea struck me, and I picked the phone up again, looking over the desk for the piece of paper with Nova's number.