12. The King Of Beasts

"We're probably safe now," Jake stated, flopping down on the ground, regardless of the snow.

"Just a little farther, Daughter of Eve," Mr. Trumpkins pleaded.

"Why are we running anyway?" Jake growled "Don't you guys have magical powers? Make a floating disc for us to ride or something."

"Zalia is a spirit," Anna-Beth whispered "Not a god."

"I'm only a student," Bella insisted "IF that's even a possible spell, I sure can't do it."

"Just my luck," Jake muttered "I'm stuck with two supposed 'witches' and neither of them can do a simple floati- AHH!" Just then, Jake felt herself lifted off the ground and she landed in a soft mane of orangish-yellow fur.

"You're..." Bella blinked, staring at the creature Jake had landed on top of.

"My name is Aslan," the lion explained.

"I knew he spoke!" Anna-Beth declared.

"Pfft," Jake huffed "Normal animals don't talk."

"I'm no normal animal, am I?" Aslan countered.

"I like this guy," Jake decided.

"Your fur looks so soft," Bella stated, reaching for it and stopping abruptly "May I?" He responded by bringing his head the rest of the way to her outstretched fingers.

"Is it as soft as it looks?" he wondered.

"I do believe so," she giggled.

"Hey," Jake impute "What do you know about law?"

"I'm sure law is much different here in Narnia than in the world you are from," Aslan stated "The world any of you are from."

"How do you know we're from different worlds?" Jake questioned

"Because I know everything," he explained.

"What can you tell us about ourselves that nobody else would know?" Jake challenged.

"Oh! Oh!" Bella interrupted "January 12th.Jake. June 6th."

"But what about Anna-Beth?" Bella questioned.

"Oh," she blinked, zoning back in "That's not necessary. I believe him."

"You do?" Aslan raised an eyebrow {What a minute... Lions have eyebrows? WTF?} "And why would that be?"

"Because you never gave me a reason not to," Anna-Beth shrugged "'Innocent until proven guilty' as Jake would put it."

"Yeah," Jake hesitated "But that's usually only for the defendant... Or the people paying you. Whichever."

"I guess I would be a suckish lawyer then, huh?" Anna-Beth smiled, slightly.

"I'd say," Jake nodded.

"OBJECTION!" Bella declared.

"See," Jake pointed out "Even Bella's a better lawyer than you."

Silence.

"HHHHEEEYYYY!" Bella declared, making Jake burst into laughter, and threw a rock at her "YOU JERK!"

"Ladies," Aslan warned. Anna-Beth simply face-palmed.

"It's going to be quite an adventure," she sighed before turning to look at the fawn and finding him missing "Mr. Trumpkins?"