Chapter 4 | Dealing With An Angelic Devil

"Look, who's back!" Ben said loudly from the portico with his arms folded and Oliver standing by his side as soon as I got out of my car.

"Yeah, look who's back. It's your all-time favourite troublemaker, yay!" I faked my enthusiasm, making my way towards him. "Thanks a lot for the call, Oliver. Really appreciate it."

"Hey, at least I called you," Oliver rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, with an interference of a devil demanding to come back to hell," I retorted.

"Shut it, the both of you," Ben shut the both of us up before he took out a breathalyser and pointed it towards me.

"Seriously?" I frowned at him. "I'm seventeen. And obviously, I don't drink."

"There's a high chance that someone drunk may have French-kissed you," the man in front of me in his grey t-shirt shrugged.

"I don't do French kiss," I grimaced in disgust.

"Max did," Oliver said discreetly, making my head reminisced back to the time when Max kissed me. Honestly, it made me feel so wrong for doing that although I didn't want to. I mean, obviously it was totally weird when your drunk best friend slash best friend's boyfriend kissed you.

"Not helping, traitor," I snapped. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I want to go back to bed."

When I was trying to walk into our house, a huge demonic barrier stood in my way to heaven, leaning his face closer to mine and sniffed my breath.

"I knew it," Ben faked a smile as he muttered then pulled his face away. "How many times should I repeat my advice not to hang around boys like Max and Tyler?"

"Null," I uttered flatly.

Oliver lifted his hands up in surrender and backed away. "The war has been declared and I'm out."

"Who knows what could possibly happen to you when I'm not around? I don't trust them completely," Ben ignored his friend. "I mean, look at yourself right now. You have blue coloured dye on your hair and tattooed wrist and you even got yourself into and out of the detention class for almost a thousand times. I believe this is their bad influence."

"They're harmless, Ben," I protested after glancing at my tattoo on my left wrist; it was only a bunch of flowers to cover up my scars. "They're my only friends who understand me very well. And they're not players."

"To me, they seem like one," he folded his arms. "And as for 'understanding you a lot' case, why don't you just make friends with the girls in your school? You're a girl, you can freely talk things like menstrual cycle or hot guys and whatnot. And they can also help you if you're in need of tampon."

"We, girls, don't really talk about our own menstrual cycle often," I raised an eyebrow. "That's just weird."

"My point is that they'll always have your back," the man who thought girls would converse much about their menstrual period tried to get to his point.

"Max and Tyler always have my back," my mouth just couldn't stop on fighting back when he kept on questioning our friendship.

Despite, Tyler and I used to be in a relationship.

"But did they ever give you a tampon when you need it?"

"I have dozens of them in my locker."

"But what if you're running out of them?"

"What if I'm not?"

"What if you are?"

"Can we stop talking about this?" I requested. "I'm just tired right now."

Ben sighed, putting his hands on his hips. "We'll have this talk again tomorrow morning."

Oh, goodie.

* * * * *

Well, Ben did continue the talk with me this morning—which began just as soon as I woke up and poured a box of Froot Loops into a bowl. Mostly, I just nodded throughout the conversation with my eyes hardly could stay wide open, knowing nothing about his blabber.

And, the conversation ended with Ben taking my car key away from my possession. That was when my eyes were both fully open.

"You can't do that!" I argued.

"Yes, I can," Ben wiggled the key in his hand in front of me and put it in his pocket before I could snatch it.

"Then, that means I don't have to go to school," I folded my arms.

"And why is that?" He smirked.

"Because you took my car," I mirrored his smirk.

"Yeah, right," the most annoying man in the world laughed. "Like, none of us have one to drive you to school."

I groaned in exasperation then stormed off to my room, leaving my breakfast untouched.

Now, Oliver and I were out for tuxedo-hunting (even though he had lots of suits, enough to make a shop) since Ben was getting married next two weeks and Oliver needed my straight-forward and unfiltered opinions to help him to pick a very nice suit for him to wear on Ben's wedding day as his best man.

"So, that I could get closer to Diane," was the reason he'd been telling me as to why he wanted to buy, yet another suit.

Diane was a friend of Ben's fiancée, Sara. They both met last three months just before the kissing tragedy happened. It was when Ben invited Sara to come to our house for a dinner, so Sara brought Diane along with her. And Diane happened to be the girl who made Oliver heart throb for the first time.

As for Sara, I'd met her weeks before the dinner. She was as nice and friendly as Diane and turned out that she was completely opposite from Ben. She was more like his anger manager. I must say that Ben had chosen the right one for his future wife because he seriously needed an anger management. Plus, Sara was going to be my foster mom which was great.

Ben adopted me. Yep. Sure, it was a very, very, very long story. And Oliver was just his greatly best friend who had been living together with him since they were in college.

Some people thought that I had gay dads.

"How was the party last night? Did you get kissed again?" Oliver glanced at me sideways while driving.

"I would be lying if I say no," I sighed in irritation.

"Someone did kiss you last night, huh? Was it Max again?" He smiled teasingly.

"He wouldn't do that twice because I'd warned him the day after that tragedy," I told him. "So, no, it wasn't him."

"Then? Who was this lucky guy?"

"Don't you mean the jerky guy?" I glared at him. "Lucas Donovan. Ever heard of that name?"

"Lucas Donovan..." he repeated the name, trying to recognise it. "Donovan— wait, isn't he the guy who got into a jail then his father came to bail him out last year?"

"Wait, what?"