Chapter 74 | Together We Fall (II)

Now. Everything had ended. Reyna was sentenced to life imprisonment and Tyler got maximum of fifteen years in prison, despite both were charged with first degree of attempted murder. That was what Ben told me. And I didn't say anything about it. Because I didn't know what to say about it. Like I said, things happened. And it happened.

"I'm actually glad that he's now in prison after seeing you lying unconsciously on the hospital bed, wondering how am I going to handle Luke's crazy depression if you were gone," Max sighed, flopping down on the couch I'm sitting on.

"It really felt like a dream," I said. "I still can't believe that it happened."

"Well, it felt more like a dream that I cleaned up my house with my own hands," he looked around his house. "Cece made me promise to clean it by myself."

I nodded. "I was gonna ask you about that. Because for all I knew, your house is a shipwreck. How are you guys doing anyway?"

"We had a fight. She wanted a dog ever since she was dog-sitting Lenny but I didn't want to because I know she will love the dog even more than me," Max held my arm whilst I rolled my eyes. "And now she's giving me a silent treatment. It's been a week now she hasn't called me!"

I stood up and patted his hand, "I wish you good luck with that. It's almost Christmas, anyway. You guys should make up."

"Where are you going now?" He tightened his grip on my arm.

"Home. Where else?" I raise my eyebrows at me.

He pursed his lips, releasing my arm harshly and snorted, "More like going to your boyfriend's arms."

"Yeah. As I said, home," I grinned.

"You are getting more distant from me ever since you dated the guy you once called asshole. I'm your friend. Your only best friend—"

"See you later, Max," I walked out of the living room and headed straight toward the exit door.

"I'M THE GUY YOU WILL LOOK FOR WHEN YOU BOTH ARE FIGHTING AGAIN! YOU HEAR THAT?!" he shouted at the top of his lungs.

That was true. He would always be the guy that me and Luke were going to look for if we had a big fight. He was our best counselor, after all. And nothing could change that.

I got in my car and drove directly to my house because Sara and Ben held a family party in celebration for my birthday in advance since Sara and Ben were planning to spend their Christmas with Sara's family. They knew I wasn't going to be upset that they were going to leave me alone at home on Christmas because I got Luke next door.

By the time I got home, everyone was still preparing the food for tonight's party—Olivia and Oliver were icing the cake, Brooke and Diane were cooking the menu for tonight, Sara and Ben were decorating the living room. I'd told them balloons were seriously unnecessary but they both insisted.

"It would not be a birthday party without the balloons," Ben said and Sara, of course, seconded it.

I shook my head, watching both of my adopted parents, filling up the balloons with air. Sara began to play with the helium, inhaling it and made funny impressions of Marvel superhero characters. Then, Ben joined her. And both began to act silly with their funny voices. Sometimes, I felt like they were my adopted children.

"Oh Lennox," Sara chuckled. "Luke is waiting for you in your room."

"Don't do anything stupid!" Ben warned me with his high-pitched, chipmunk-like voice.