Chapter 30

Harry holds my hand as he leads me outside towards the table. He sits down on one side of it and I sit on the other.

"Where are you taking me tonight?" I ask curiously.

"That eager huh?" He asks smirking.

"Just curious." I say while unwrapping my lunch. He looks at me with a straight face before answering.

"Well you'll just have to wait." He says before crossing his arms on the table.

"Are you not going to eat?" I ask him.

"No I don't feel like it." He says.

"You don't feel like it? I never feel like it until I actually start eating. That's when I realize I'm hungry." I explain.

"Well I'm not hungry and I don't feel like it." He says stubbornly. I roll my eyes and take a bite out of my chicken wrap.

"Wait, you're not hungry until you eat?" He asks as if he just realized what I said.

"Ya. My parents think I barely eat because of it." I answer.

"Well do you barely eat?" He asks.

"No, I actually eat a lot. My parents just don't see me every time I eat." I conclude. He nods his head as if he's deep in thought.

"My parents used to think I would never stop eating." Harry says after a few minutes. I look up surprised.

"Well almost all boys are like that." I say. I'm about to explain my theory using my brother as an example when a lump forms in my throat.

"And how would you know?" He questions.

"I just do." I say giving him a smile trying to cover up the sudden pain in my chest. Harry looks back at the school.

"What's with girls and make up?" He asks suddenly. It's as if a random thought had popped up into his head while observing the school.

"Well what do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, why do they wear so much?... or any at all. That was always my question." He explains.

"Well do you have a sister?" I ask. His eyes seem to darken and his jaw clenches. I immediately continue without referring back to siblings.

"I guess because they feel more confident in themselves. For example, if someone has pimples they'll wear foundation to cover it up." I explain.

"But it's not their real skin. Their look is fake." He counters.

"Well... well. I don't know! I can't read every single girls thoughts." I say in defence.

"But you're a girl!" He says pointing at me.

"So?! I don't wear much. I mean I'm way too lazy to wake up earlier to put on make up. I put on mascara sometimes but... I don't... I don't know! You're making this difficult." I babble. I honestly don't know what to answer to that.

He chuckles in response.

"Ok..." I say glancing at the school for inspiration.

"What's with guys and not being able to hug each other? You always have to do this manly hug and hand shakes." I say breaking out into a smile. I literally pulled that one out of the top of my head.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"Well girls can hug each other and tell each other they're pretty. Guys never do that." I explain.

"Well why would we do that. I mean hugging I just... it's... I guess a society thing. Guys don't call each other pretty or hug." He says struggling for a response.

"Well girls and make up is partly society too." I say countering.

"I...Well..." He fumbles for words.

"Ha!" I say with joy.

"Oh please..." He trails off but with a defeated look in his eyes.

I look off in the distance behind Harry. Trees are blowing causing some of the leaves to fall. I glance above me as a leaf slowly blows away from the branch of a tree.

"What are you looking at?" Harry asks.

"Just the trees and the leaves." I answer shrugging my shoulders. Harry gets up from his seat and walks towards a tree.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"Come here." He says waving me over. I stand up walking over to Harry.

He starts to climb the tree as I look at him with a surprised expression.

"We're climbing a tree?" I ask watching him grab the branches and hauling himself up.

"Yes." He answers as he continues. He stops and looks down.

"You afraid of heights?" He asks.

"No." I say.

"Well come on then."

I walk up to the tree grabbing on to the first two branches. I look around before looking back at the tree. I pull myself up steadying myself on the first branch. I stand, slowly unbending my knees while clutching the next two branches. I follow Harry's trail up the tree. I swear he's done this before. When we near the top, the branches start looking thinner and less sturdy.

"Harry." I call up to him. He hears me and looks down.

"Just a little more." He says before continuing to climb.

My hands are slightly sticky because of the branches. I continue climbing up the tree and after a few minutes I reach Harry's level. He's perched on a branch with his knees bent as he looks at the school. I sit beside him curiously glancing at him every so often.

"Do you come up here often?" I ask after a few moments of silence. He shrugs and continues to look forward.

"Sometimes to clear my head." He answers.

"We live in a never ending cycle you know..." He says trailing off. I don't interrupt or ask questions because I want him to continue.

"Sometimes this tree is a get away." He says.

"But I know that I will eventually have to come down." He says looking at me.

"I will eventually have to get down and continue my usual cycle. Get up, live, go to sleep. It's constant and continuous. The trees even have a constant cycle. Every season they restart their process." He continues. I stay silent.

"Do you ever get tired of it?" He asks me.

"I..." I trail off thinking about what he just told me.

"I hadn't thought about it like that." I confess.

The more I reflect on what he says, the more I understand. I get up, see the usual people I see everyday, go to class, go home and sleep. It repeats itself. The sun always rises in the morning and sets at night. I always do the same routine everyday. It does seem tiring.

I look over at Harry.

"Well now that you've pointed that out, yes I do get tired of it." I tell him honestly. He turns his head to look into my eyes. I look back searching for whatever he's trying to tell me without words. His gaze seems to falter for a few seconds. He swiftly turns back to look at the school.

"We should head back." He says quickly before climbing down the tree. I climb down after him at a steady pace. When I get close to the bottom, Harry waits with his arms outstretched. I lightly jump down as Harry grabs my waist and lightens the impact.

We walk towards the school in silence. I'm assuming both of us are deep in thought. I think back to what he told me up in the tree.

And him... I can't tell what he's thinking.

When we walk in through the side doors of the school, Harry turns to me with a serious face.

"And here we go again." He says.