Chapter 38

I sit at my desk waiting for my computer to load. I'm researching fireflies. After that night with Harry I'm suddenly curious about fireflies.

After we finished observing all the fireflies around us, we slowly got up and walked out of the forest side by side. While we walked our hands kept brushing but neither of us flinched away.

I found out his car was parked extremely close to where we were. And how did he know we would come here after school? I have no clue.

We drove home listening to the music. I don't think he noticed but he was humming ever so softly to some of the songs. Maybe he realized and didn't think I could hear. I looked out the window at the scenery passing by and smiled to myself. The whole ride home I couldn't help but wonder about fireflies. When he drove me to my house, I got out of the car and ran to my door. Harry watched me from inside his car. When I closed my door behind me, I quickly ran up the stairs to the window of my room. I watched as Harry drove down the road and out of my sight.

Today is Saturday and I couldn't resist researching fireflies. All week I've been curious but I was way too busy to actually take the time to look it up.

I've barely seen Harry the rest of the week after that night. The only time I saw him was in class.

Today is supposed to be his friend's party. I'm not sure he remembers asking me to go. He never once mentioned it a second time this week.

My computer finally loads and I click on the first link.

Fireflies are winged beetles, and commonly called fireflies or lightning bugs for their conspicuous crepuscular use of bioluminescence to attract mates or prey. Fireflies produce a "cold light", with no infrared or ultraviolet frequencies. This chemically produced light from the lower abdomen may be yellow, green, or pale red.

I continue scrolling down the page looking for something interesting to read. I click on the tab "symbolic meaning".

An ordinary looking creature during the day, admittedly, the firefly is a remarkable sight when it glows at night. This is a symbolic message to us humans that although our physical appearance may seem one way - it is our internal makings - what is inside us (such as our spirit) that makes us shine from the inside out. That which is within us will always illuminate us and those around us.

I turn in my chair looking around my room reflecting on what I just read. Does Harry know about this? Had he planned to show me that for a reason?

I look at the time and it's only ten in the morning. I'm too lazy to change out of my pyjamas so I leave them on. I decide to lounge around the house and do my homework. Once I'm fed up with that, I decide to watch tv. Nothing interesting is on so I get up to choose a movie. As I'm crouched down beside the cabinet I hear a knock at the door.

I get up and open the front door. Harry stands there with a smile of his face. I take a step back and glance in the kitchen. On the microwave the time shows one in the afternoon. Is the party that early?

Harry walks into my house without a greeting. He goes directly to my couch and sits down. I stare after him as he makes himself comfortable.

His hair is pushed back showing his forehead. He has black sunglasses on his eyes even though he just walked into my house and it covers their gorgeous shade of green . He wears a sleeveless navy blue button up shirt with no tank top underneath. It's unbuttoned and shows the tattoos on his chest. He wears black jeans with a brown belt and black velvet boots.

I have never seen him wear this type of clothing. I can't stop myself from staring at him.

He turns his head to look back at me. I snap out of my daze and slowly close the door. Harry seems to notice that I'm taking my time so he gets up and walks over to the opened cabinet of movies. He picks a movie and puts it in the DVD player.