Chapter 40

"Our organization is very complicated. The system came from the south and transferred itself into our society. It was created a while back... before we were born. It was created by Raphael's great grandfather. The fathers always pass the responsibility to their sons. That explains why Raphael is the leader.

Raphael's position is part of a bigger organization connecting each state. Although he's the most important guy here, he's not that important if you look at the scale of all gangs combined.

So Raphael's great grandfather created two groups of five guys. One was in Richmont and the other was in Overton. He went to school with a bunch of kids in Richmont. He gathered them when they were in need of a paying job. He took them under his wing by offering a position in his gang. At the time it must've seemed like the greatest opportunity in the world, especially if you're desperate. A lot of people started losing their jobs because of the hard times in those days. Everyone was looking for an escape or a job. The escape was hardcore drugs and the job was to be in the gang. He got all this drugs imported from the south-from the people that helped him transfer the gang lifestyle.

Numbers grew under the radar as families suffered to survive in the city. People who once had an amazing job was now in a gang and suffered.

His great grandfather then moved to Overton because times were too hard in Richmont. Back then, he worked for a construction company and had the creation of the gangs as his back up money source. People in construction started looking for a second source of pay because their salaries were cut. He took them in to be a part of the gangs. In the end, he used the gangs as his main source of money. He left his construction job and revolved his life around gangs.

His job was passed down to his son- Enzo- Raphael's dad. Enzo had to start putting order to each gang. He created different jobs and orders of importance. Everything was organized to complete perfection. Now the gangs are more diverse with a lot of people. Even though there were a lot of people in the gangs, there were tens of thousands who didn't know a thing about them. So we kept it quiet. Anyone who betrayed us were severely punished.

Enzo made a living out of gangs. He never had to get a real job. It also explains this house.

Anyways, Enzo introduced gang life to Raphael at a young age. He showed him all the flaws in the work: nobody could identify each other, no one was reliable, etcetera. Raphael had all these ideas for his father. The gangs weren't working well so Enzo agreed to use them.

Now there's many different small gangs everywhere. Each group covers a certain area of their town. You don't pass over into their territory. Well... you could if you wanted to make extra money and make yourself look good but there's no rule against them killing you.

The more money you collect from the consumers, the higher you're considered. The higher you're considered, the more privileges and freedom you have. You can also make a name for yourself by being constant in collecting. When people buy hardcore drugs they're obviously going through tough times. This always leads to people overpaying. If you're able to collect more because you...beat them... then that's also...good.

That being said, people started recruiting young men who were desperate. They scouted people: watched their lifestyle, their fighting skills, their aggressiveness. When you were asked to join, you were basically being forced into joining. We all know once you're in... you never leave. Gang life follows you and then your children if you have any. This only applies to the men who are actually in the gang so his family won't be punished if they don't know anything. If you leave, it means you're not loyal and they have a reason to fear you because you might reveal the system. That's why it's important never to tell anyone this information.