The Way Home

I bolted awake. A loud knock echoed through my room. I was used to waking up at any sounds, give that I've been on duty in this submarine for over 8 months. It was easy to wake up to almost anything

One of the young junior lieutenants called out my permission to enter. I immediately granted it, thinking that it might be an emergency. No one wakes up a Seal on break, unless he is needed or worse. I'd rather not dwell on the latter.

Fully awake, I sternly stated, "State your business."

"Sir, Captain has called you, up deck. He has some news for you, from the island."

"You may leave. Please inform, Captain that I will be there in 10 minutes"

The lieutenant left while I swiftly put on my uniform. Up deck, I greeted the captain.

" You wanted to see me,sir?"

Captain Barkley graciously greeted me. I've known the old man since I was two. He's a good friend of my dad. He was like an uncle to me.

"Yes, I know you have not used your leave of absence, since you entered the Navy, and you tried to develop your career as a Seal, why not use a few months vacation time?"

I was puzzled. It was true, I've never had a reason to apply for leaves, choosing to go home or relax on the given days off. It's just that I've never had a reason to.

"What are you implying, Sir?"

The Captain's face slightly fell. I knew that face. Bad news. It could be about my work or my family. Either way, I was praying for the former. I knew the difficulty. No matter the degree of the news, the delivery is never easy and never simple. I didn't like to be on the receiving end of that look, nor at the other side.

"I receive a call from the ground. Your mother has called. Your father had a heart attack and is currently confined."

Trained to keep a straight face, I barely blinked at the news, but my response was clear. I had to make my way home.

"I think it's time to go home."

That's how I ended up back in New York, back in the loud city. I didn't exactly have a phone to call anyone. I was always on the go. I informed my mom about my arrival but wasn't able to discuss pick up plans. I was already thinking of taking a cab. When I saw my sister standing in the arrival area lobby with a sign saying, "Obnoxious older brother."

I grinned, holding my chuckle. I can't escape my family even if I tried. I called out to her,

"Why am I not surprised, I'd see you here, Liv."

She gave him a hug, with her perpetual smile on, which she got from our mom.

"I'm here because a certain brother of mine is back in town."

I gave her a small smile. I was used to that. Her scolding me for always being away, but I know that she understands. She knows that I have a reason to love my work, to want to change my track.

"I'm lucky I changed out of my uniform. Seriously, what the fuck is up with that sign?"

My sister laughed. Walking ahead of me, she replied,