The Commander

I sent a message to Andrea when I arrived at the airport for my flight to New York. I knew she wasn't going to reply but it didn't hurt. I also sent Liv a message about my flight details. She told me that she had asked the driver to pick me up. Knowing my family one of them would come get me.

I'm anxious and happy to be going back. I don't know what will happen with Andrea, but I know I'm not going to give up on her, not this time. I didn't know that change was coming when I saw her. It did, and I find myself realizing things I haven't realized before.

Losing my brother made me join the military. It wasn't just to serve my country but to atone for what I wasn't able to do as the eldest. It was something that my family was against.

Before I left for deployment, my father told me.

"If your heart is not in it, the chances of you getting hurt increases. The question remains, why do you do it?"

Those words stuck to me as I succeeded the ranks. The years passed and before I could even stop and think if I really wanted it for myself. It became an interest, something that I was good at but not a dream. It was automatic and I couldn't stop. Until I saw her, I couldn't stop.

Andrea Parker was not a glorified person. She isn't as amazing as I see her. To anyone looking at her, she's a doctor with looks. A woman with a head on her shoulder but a face to match it. In my mind though, she is someone special. I made up my mind that I have to show her that she is special.

I landed at JFK earlier slightly later than planned. I immediately sent a message to Andrea.

I've just landed. I hope to pick you up tomorrow.

I had hoped I would receive a reply but I shrugged it off as her usual busy doctor routine. That was something we had in common, our dedication to our work. For her though, she loves her job. You could see it in the way she handles her patients and gives time to be better at it.

I was at the arrival floor when I saw my father looking at me solemnly. I was surprised to see him. It was usually Liv or my mother who arrives to see me. I faltered. There must be something wrong.

My father has always been the annoying voice of reason. Sure, I argue with him about the choices I make, but I know he is only saying things because he cares. If I took everything he said to heart, our relationship would probably be ruined.

"Dad, I didn't expect to see you here." I confessed.

"I wouldn't be here but-" His words were cut off by the news, coming from the television in the arrival's lobby. The words New York General Hospital and a hostage taking flashed. I stared at the TV, hoping that I misread it. My girl and Liv were both on duty. This has got to be the worst welcome back surprise.

"What happened?" I turned to my father. He sighed in response.

"We can talk about it in the car." My dad responded.

I nodded. My mind tried not to run with worry but my sister and Andrea were there. Our driver rounded the corner and stopped in front of us. Both my dad and I got on.

"Tell me." I requested.

"I'm growing older these days, son. Your sister is at that hospital working herself crazy because of the accidents today. There was an accident on the highway and a fire at the center. Your sister immediately sent out a message to your mom to pick you up."

"But you're the one here." I questioned.

"Because your mother is too anxious. The news of a crazy gunman inside the hospital broke out, minutes before you arrived. I had to suddenly leave her at our office. She called Liv and Andy." He continued.