Your Guest

It's been 6 months since I last stepped my foot in New York. It was nearing Christmas, but Thanksgiving was the next day. I was heading back in a few weeks time, to celebrate the coming holiday with the family. I wondered if would see her.

The last time I saw her was when I stood at the edge of her doorway, saying good-bye to  our relationship. She gave me an encouraging smile.

"Stay safe, Commander. I do not want to see you at the hospital." She told. My legs stopped in their move to leave. I turned back towards her to give her one final hug.

"When have I ever been your patient? If you wanted to play doctor, you only have to ask."  She chuckled in my embrace. I think she remembered the same thing as me. Our first meeting.

"All the same. Be careful, Aiden. For everybody's sake." Those were her last words to me as she released herself from my arms. I nodded at her. I turn back and headed out, closing the door behind me. I refused to look back, my resolve would crumble. I swallowed all my emotions and headed back to my family home. I badly wanted her to be there too, but I respected her space.

I drowned in her scent that day. I was overwhelmed with my reluctance to leave her, to see what we could have. I'm an asshole for even thinking that I could be with her.

As I set foot on the airport that day, Liv handed me a package of cupcakes. I was surprised. Liv never bothered to give me anything, when I leave. She hates it, but she still goes to bring me.

"Here, she told me to give you these." She whispered to me. I knew who the she referred to. I only know one person who would be baking on that day. I was thankful for Liv keeping it a secret from our parents.

As inspected the box, I was hoping to see a letter or something from her other than the 4 pieces of cupcake decorated pristinely. It was too much for me to ask though.

As I sat in the boarding area, I sent a message to Liv. I was desperate, I guess. I needed to know if Andrea said anything to her.

Did she say anything to you? I texted her. I knew she would still be in the car with our parents. They were going to bring her back to the hospital for the children's party.

No, even if she did, it's not my place to say. Stay safe, big brother. See you soon! Her message ended at that.

I ate 2 on the flight and 2 in my apartment.  They were as I expected my favorite flavor, chocolate. 2 were plain chocolate. The others were the Bailey's cake she made before. The girl had a way with her actions. She knew that memories would flood me once I took a bite.

I'd be lying to myself if I said that I didn't think about her every so often. There was something about her. I took a deep breath and swallowed my thoughts of her. I needed to jog. I was back in my apartment in San Francisco. I didn't need to go back to San Diego until 2 days after Thanksgiving. Some of my friends had invited me for their dinners or drinks for tomorrow but I decided to spend it watching the game, alone.

I didn't know what pulled me to drive to the pier today for my run. I decided it wouldn't hurt because I could easily get a bite to eat after. There weren't a lot of tourist, yet. It was easy for me to jog around. Like me, there were also early risers taking their morning run. 

The cool weather touched my skin. The sun rose, yet I still had a couple of kilometers to go. Something caught my eye for a moment.

I slowed down trying to make of the figure that just turned a corner to the other pier area. I thought I recognized the person, but I didn't bother chasing. I pushed forward to finish my run.