The Doctor is In

It was another day, at the hospital. I was still halfway through my 36 hour shift, but I was already dead tired.

I took a breather in my office before heading to lunch. My usual lunch mate, Liv left to pick up her brother, so I had the luxury of silence to myself before I finally made my way to the cafeteria.

I ate fish and chips, while delicately handling my phone. I was reading a novel on it. It was better than lugging a book with me on duty. Of course, I'd still prefer a book any day. I was almost done with my lunch when my beeper made a sound. A quiet lunch was too good to be true, apparently.

I immediately stood up and briskly walked to the tray return area. I was reading the details of the 3 messages sent to me, while making my way to the elevator.

As usual, I ran into somebody again. I didn't see, only a speck of blond and a figure of a man. Before we could both lose our balance, he grabbed me and gave me a slight twirl, adjusting my stance. I was still too occupied with my beeper since, at that moment it also announced that I had more incoming messages. I quickly mumbled an apology, and left.

I could still hear his voice, "What was that? She's a doctor -"

I tuned him out after that. I had patients to care for but a loud female voice called out vmy name. I recognized it as Liv.

"Andy, watch it! I told you-

I half drowned her voice.

-staring at your beeper."

I turned a bit, not knowing completely the direction of her voice and said,

"Sorry, I got called in."

I rushed to the nearest nurse station at the 5th floor, and started on my patients.

After an hour or so, I headed to Mr. Matthews' suite. He's the current CEO of M Industries, a tech and weapon manufacturing company. It was surprising that once he woke he requested to be discharged. Being the stubborn doctor that I am and with is wife on my side, I told him a big fat no.

The poor guy needs to rest. Work will cause him more stress, his heart attack although mild was most probably caused by being overworked and stressed. Don't get me wrong, on all accounts, the man is healthy but there was telling when age kicks in.

I was just a meter away from his suite when I heard loud voices. I couldn't make out what was being said but I knew enough to not intervene unless needed.

To define needed would be, my patient's heart monitor beeping.

I immediately opened the door and rushed to his side. I didn't bother looking at the visitor. Whoever he or she was should understand what was happening.

I heard Mr. Matthews mustered an "I'm fine." Before I turned to the source of the stress. I placed my best serious doctor face, ignoring that the guy was kind of handsome.

"You, get out. You do not stressed out patients, especially one with a heart condition."

He was staring at me. Just because. He had a good feet on me doesn't mean, he can ignore me. I gave him my best don't-mess-with-me face. He cleared his throat.

"Listen here, lady. He's my-"

I sharpened my glare. I didn't appreciate being a called a lady with that tone. I'm a doctor.

"I don't care, who you are. You are stressing my patient,ergo, you have to go."

I just stood my ground. It's my job to protect my  patients.