twelve

kalani depradine

kalani: don't forget the ultrasound is at two!

I felt it necessary to remind Grayson because his lack of assistant has made things really difficult lately. Difficult in the sense that he's stressed and since he doesn't necessarily have friends he can rant to, I've taken on that role. He'll call me at random times of the day just to share inconveniences then when he realizes the entire conversation has revolved around a minor set back, he'll ask me how my day is going.

grayson: can we make that a little bit earlier? i have a meeting at two thirty. let's schedule it for twelve

Does he not know how these things work? Doctors don't just sit around all day waiting for one patient. They have several and she probably has a packed schedule. I can't just call her and tell her to move us up.

kalani: we made this appointment together and you said this would work

grayson: and now i'm saying it won't work, so fix it.

My eyes widened. There is no way Grayson was actually speaking to me like I'm his assistant. Just when I was about to send him a lengthy message about how I won't take him being disrespectful, he quickly texted again.

grayson: please baby

I groaned, setting my phone down on my desk. I only started work at nine this morning and planned on leaving early to make it for my two o'clock appointment, but twelve is right in the middle of the day.

Holding my office phone to my ear, I dialled my OB/GYN's number, hoping she'd somehow be available.

"Hello? Dr. Chung? This is Kalani Depradine," I nervously bit my lip.

"Oh, Kalani. Hi. I'm expecting you in today for two, is that right?" She confirmed. I shut my eyes as I wiped my forehead with my hand.

"About that, my...the father of my baby isn't able to make it for two. Can we move it to twelve?" It's a big ask. Twelve is only two hours away and I highly doubt she's available.

"Twelve? Um, I'm not quite sure. I'm pretty full for today," she gave me the answer I already expected. It's not like I need Grayson at all my ultrasounds, but he works as a support system. Even if all he does is stare at the screen like he might puke on his thousand dollar shoes. "You know what, let me work some things around. I'll see you for twelve."

I let out of breath of relief. If she didn't say yes, I don't know how I would've broken the news to Grayson. Seeing as he's making me go to this expensive maternity hospital with high ranking doctors, he wouldn't be happy to hear they can't make adjustments for him.

"Thank you so much. See you then."

Explaining to my new boss I had to leave early was awkward. She's a woman that's worked here for a while and I've never particularly gotten along with her. But I guess because she has two kids she was somewhat understanding of my situation.

Like Alan has been doing for the past few days, he parked in the back where I wouldn't have to worry about people being interested in speaking with me. Grayson said they will eventually lose interest and I was really hoping they would.

"Are we meeting Mr. Astor there?" Alan asked when he opened the door for me.

I nodded. "Yeah," I buckled my seatbelt and we were on our way. Traffic wasn't terrible and I was happy Grayson wasn't going to be able to use that as his excuse if he's late. But being late isn't an option when the doctor is already bending over backwards for us. If Grayson can attend every other business meeting on time, then he should respect this appointment and arrive on time.