epilogue

grayson astor

five years later

My foot bounced up and down as the man leading the meeting went through logistics for Astor Incorporation Shanghai. It was finally established four years ago and has been more successful than I ever could have imagined. With my father still rotting away in prison, I needed to find someone to manage the headquarters in China. Despite his childish ways, Matthew was the only person I trusted with leading the company out there. He was too honoured to realize what a big responsibility this would be. But, as of right now, everything has been great.

Reaching into my pocket, I removed my phone when it started ringing. I didn't have the contact saved and I didn't recognize the number. But I immediately assumed it must've been Paige. It seems like every other week she has a new number.

I stood up to leave and answer. "Um, sir," the man presenting stopped the meeting.

"Give me a moment?" I left the conference room and brought the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hi, Mr. Astor. It's Miss. Taylor. Amelia's kindergarten teacher," the woman spoke.

Amelia started kindergarten a week ago. Kalani and I spent weeks deciding on a private school. We toured each one in the city and finally decided on the one she currently attends. Considering she's currently an only child, we were worried about her ability to make friends and worried she wouldn't enjoy school. But it seems everyday she's up before either of us and urging both of us to get ready.

"There was an incident with Amelia and other students," she chose not to elaborate.

"I'll be there in ten minutes," I hung up, running my hand through my hair with a sigh. I entered the meeting currently on pause for me. "I have to leave. Paul will take my spot," I pointed at the new COO who nodded.

It was a dreadful car ride because I couldn't stop assuming the worst. Amelia has been telling us school is fun and I didn't understand how there was an incident. What does incident even mean?

After I had arrived at the school, I composed myself and made sure I walked into the building looking like a civilized person. I've only ever been to the school twice, and it was for the tour. Kalani is the one who normally drops her off and picks her up. But they organize the school in a way allowing me to know exactly which classroom belonged to her. When I got there, I found Amelia seated in a chair and facing the wall. All the other students were at different tables colouring and playing. The teacher subjecting Amelia to public humiliation infuriated me.

"Amelia, my love," I called out and she turned around to look at me with her swollen eyes. She's been crying.

"Daddy," she jumped out of her seat, rushing over to me. Her hair was previously in two braided pigtails with beads at the end. But all the beads were now gone.

I knelt down, bringing her into my arms. "What happened, angel?" I rubbed her back. These were only children, but I wanted to rain hell fire.

"They were playing and-"

"I was asking my daughter," I stopped the teacher from answering. Amelia is only five, but she isn't incompetent. She's intelligent and fully capable of explaining this situation to me. I had done research and found baby talking your children does nothing for their development and I made sure Kalani and everyone else spoke to Amelia like she was an adult.

"We were playing and they wanted to touch my hair. I told them no because mommy said no one is allowed to touch my hair," Amelia explained and I nodded my head, failing to see what the problem is and why my daughter was crying.