ten

kalani depradine

"Just out of curiosity. Will your lack of punctuality be a routine? Because traffic is bad and we should've left ten minutes ago," Grayson was seated in the living room while I pretended to clean my kitchen. In reality, I was stalling. Toby was supposed to be here thirty minutes ago to drop off the baby crib that arrived at his house yesterday. But I guess as Grayson stated, traffic is bad and he must be stuck in it. "Why can't you clean later?" His eyes remained on his phone.

"I want to come back to a clean home," I continued on with my lie. He'll know eventually Toby is on his way. But I'm dreading the encounter more than anything. So although my apartment remains spotless, here I am looking for every speck of dirt.

There was a knock on the door before it opened. Toby held the door open with his boot as he picked up the huge box and carried it into my spare bedroom. It was the first time Grayson had looked up from his phone in the past hour. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry.

"Does he have a key?" Grayson got onto his feet and began to speak about Toby like he wasn't standing right beside me. "Why does he have a key, Lani?" The nickname took Toby by surprise and it was evident on his face.

"Lani? I thought you hated the nickname," Toby awkwardly pointed out. I did hate the nickname. But hearing it come from Grayson feels different. He's such a punctual guy and follows formalities. He's not a nickname person and knowing I'm the only person he has a nickname for makes me feel special. It's stupid.

"Thank you for the crib. I'm ordering the rocking chair and ottoman soon. I'll let you know when," I informed him and he nodded, pulling me into a hug. He knew exactly what he was doing and I hated it. They were intentionally involving me in their stupid masculinity battle.

"We're going to be late for our dinner with your family, love. Let's go," Grayson added and I felt Toby's body stiffen in my arms. Love. Grayson has never called me that and it made my cheeks go hot. Of course Grayson felt the need to make sure Toby knows he's meeting my family.

"You're seeing your parents today? Make sure you tell your mom I said hi. And let your dad know I'm excited for our baseball game next week," Toby kissed my cheek and didn't even leave room for Grayson to say anything. I didn't even want to look at him because I knew I would burst into laughter and it would make matters worse. The quickest glance at Grayson almost made me break my cover. He looked like he was about to punch a wall and his eyes were shut because he was trying to compose himself.

"I-"

"Nope. Nope. I don't wanna hear it. Let's go, Mr. Macho," I laughed as we left my apartment and went out to his car.

Grayson was being oddly quiet. He enjoys ranting about work, which he was not doing. He also looked like at any moment he was going to lose his shit.

"Fine. Spit it out," I groaned because I already know what he'll say. But he clearly was incapable of keeping it in.

"Get your key back from him, or change your locks. Or better yet, I'll get the key from him," he threatened. Changing my locks seems extreme and I don't even think it's allowed in my building.

"Grayson," I turned my head to look at him because he was being unrealistic. "We're just friends." Toby and I may have dated, but everything between us is completely platonic now.

"You said that about your boss and look where that led," he spoke hurtful words. I crossed my arms, turning away to face the window. He didn't have to say that and I hate that he was reminding me I wouldn't have my position right now without Grayson. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that," he apologized when he realized my feelings were hurt.