six

kalani depradine

I was two weeks into my new position and I already loved it. My office was already decorated and it felt like home. Employees at the company held a mini celebration party for me during lunch. They had cake and balloons and it was the first they had ever done such a thing for someone. I was already loving the position. It offered me a lot of creative freedom I didn't know I wanted. My days turned longer which was understandable considering we're building this position from the ground up.

Entering my apartment, I clicked the light on as I went to the kitchen. The only thing I had to eat was leftover pasta I was going to force myself to eat after I showered and got ready for bed.

My shower was long and well overdue and I took my time to enjoy it. When I stepped out, I stared myself down in the mirror. A small bump was making an appearance. It was nothing more than a pouch and I could pass off for just being bloated. My hand went on my stomach like a magnet. I rubbed it and even smiled at the idea of a mini me growing inside of me.

I was forced to put all my thoughts on hold when my phone started ringing. I quickly clothed myself in shorts and a tank before answering my phone without even seeing who was calling.

"Kalani, hey. I'm sorry, I know this is weird for me to call at this time," Joshua paused. I looked at the time on my microwave. It was almost ten and the latest he's ever called is five, so I was really worried about what this could be about.

"It's totally fine. What's up?" I poured myself a glass of juice while my pasta warmed up in the microwave.

"I actually wanted to ask earlier today, but didn't have the time. I was wondering if you wanted to grab dinner sometime this week?" Joshua asked just as I choked on the juice I was drinking. It left me coughing for days and Joshua questioning if everything was okay.

"Joshua, that's really nice of you. But I can't. Things right now are really complicated in my personal life," I admitted, knowing it would be out of bounds for me to go into details. But he's already crossed the line by asking me on a date.

"Oh, is it the guy who was at the office two weeks ago?" Joshua sounded hurt, which was the last thing I wanted to do. If this question had come to me two years ago, I would've been jumping up and down at Joshua asking me on a date. But now the thought of dating my boss feels completely inappropriate despite how HR wouldn't have an issue with it.

"No. It's not that. I just...it's complicated," I looked at the ground with a sigh.

"I just thought because of the promotion that..." he trailed off and my skin went cold. There was no possible way he was suggesting I only got the promotion because he wanted to ask me on a date. "Okay, maybe it's best if we just let things go back to how they were. I mean, this position isn't even something we really need and-"

"What?" I quickly cut him off. I felt the tears appear and I didn't want to let him make me cry. But I couldn't help it. I was convinced my hard work landed me the position, but this entire time this man just wanted to get in my pants? "I'm confused."

"You should move back to your prior desk," he continued to go on and it felt like everything was falling to shreds right in front of me. "Anyways, I'll let you enjoy the rest of your night." Then he hung up. Just like that he hung up the phone and left me with the bomb of news.

My legs gave out on me completely and I found myself seated on my kitchen floor while sobbing into my knees. I'm not sure how long I sat on the kitchen floor, but my phone kept ringing and I didn't even care to check who it was.

I was excited for this position. I acquired this job when I was 21 because my older brother has a friend who knew an employee. I got this job through a connection and I wanted to prove to myself I don't need help. Turns out I do and my hard work goes almost indistinguishable.