twenty eight

kalani depradine

I was holding onto my seatbelt like my life depended on it. I was tense with no sign of ever getting comfortable in my seat. That's impossible when I was currently on my way to what felt like my own personal hell. Being surrounded by obnoxious, rich women has never been on my bucket list of things I thought I would get up to in New York City. Despite how others would die to be apart of an elitist society, it would be a hard pass for me.

I wasn't sure what to wear and was on facetime with Paige the entire morning. We went over attire and makeup and small mannerisms I didn't know I had which needed to be gone. I had to keep reminding myself I was doing this for the sake of Grayson and I's relationship. Marrying him means being a representation of him.

I sucked in a deep breath when we arrived outside the building. There was underground parking and Grayson had now just parked the car. I wanted to ask if he would walk me in, but I didn't have to. He got out of the car and opened my door for me. Helping me out, my heels echoed on the cement as we entered the elevator with a man standing inside. He was in the uniform of a tuxedo. My arm curled around Grayson's as I looked up at him. The muscle under his shirt was firm and comforting. His eyes weren't on my face but instead on my hand with my ring on it.

"I wouldn't make you do anything I didn't think you were capable of. These women should be worried about you, not the other way around," he kissed my forehead.

We left the elevator and my eyes widened at the foyer we were in. It felt like I had stepped into a palace belonging to the queen. It looked Victorian era beautiful. Waiting in the seating area was Paige. As soon as we stepped out of the elevator, she shot to her feet to approach us with a smile.

"I knew you'd look perfect," Paige pulled me into a hug. It was exactly what I needed. She was going to be my back bone while here since Ivy would be missing this meeting. "We haven't started yet so we can enjoy some appetizers and get away from my annoying overbearing brother," she brought attention to his hand yet to let go of mine.

"I'm not overbearing," Grayson muttered but still wouldn't let go. "I'll be here at six sharp to pick you up. Text me if you need anything," he leaned down to kiss my lips. It was possessive like he was marking his property. The sick part of me wished he could've done this with other women in the room.

"I will," I assured him, his forehead continuing to rest against mine. I felt like a toddler being sent off to kindergarten. I could see the worry glisten in his eyes about forcing me to interact with these women I knew would be a handful.

"I love you," he reminded me and my heartbeat picked up as it usually does anytime he says sweet things. Before I could respond, he pulled his hands off of me then ventured into the elevator.

-

grayson astor

Walking away from her felt like I was doing her a disservice. I know these women. I grew up with half of them. They're vultures and will pick at any sign of weakness Kalani shows. I would've done anything to get her out of being apart of this stupid group of brainless women, but it's out of my control. I, more than anyone, know what's expected of women in this world. But I also know the type of woman Kalani is. I've seen the way she defends me with my father and I know she's fully capable of taking care of herself. She's the strongest person I know.

Thoughts of what is happening with Kalani is exactly what was distracting me the entire time during my meeting with my father. It was supposed to be business talk, but I knew he'd find a way to bring Kalani up. Still, I periodically checked my phone for any messages she might send me. Nothing yet.

"I thought you were playing a sick joke. But to bring the girl to the society? Grayson, really?" My father straightened in his seat. We were in his home office discussing real estate and liquid funds as per usual. Discussions with him are always about money.