thirty one

kalani depradine

I could barely sleep. Mostly because I was worried about Amelia. The pressure change would affect her tiny ears and I felt bad with how long the plane ride was. I was lucky enough not to have anyone seated beside us , so it was just me and Amelia. She babbled and stared out the window when she was awake. I'm happy I had thought to bring her small toys because they're exactly what got her through the plane ride.

Holding Amelia in one arm, I struggled to bring my suitcase down from the overhead bin. Both our lives were packed away into a carry on bag and duffel bag.

"Let me," a taller man helped bring down my suitcase and my duffel bag. I smiled at him, tossing the baby bag over my shoulder. I put the duffel bag on top of the suitcase, pushing it with me outside the plane. "First time in Barcelona?"

I scoffed, walking through the airport with this man following close behind. "First time in Spain," I corrected him. It was actually my first time in Europe as a whole. At the same time I was walking, I was trying to use my phone to connect to the wifi.

I didn't have much time prior to the flight to find somewhere to stay. The money I would be using was money I've saved since I first got a job and I knew it would last me a while. The luxury of staying with Grayson meant he took care of me in every aspect and all the money I was getting from maternity leave was going straight to my savings. For the mean time, money wouldn't be a problem, but I would eventually need to figure out how to make an income.

The first thing I needed to do when I found a hotel room and figured out a plan was call my family. Connecting to wifi, my phone was loading all these texts and voicemails from not only Grayson but my family.

We had to go through immigration and I thought it would be an easy process. Despite never being to Spain before, I've been to other places and have never had any issues. But the woman checking our passports and documents was looking at it like I might've filled something out incorrectly. Her eyes darted back and forth between the passports and then me then Amelia who was in my arms.

"This way please," she pointed to the left, leading not to an exit, but led me to another room looking like it might me used for interrogations.

"May I ask why? There shouldn't be any complications with our passports or paperwork," I spoke up because eventually Amelia would get angsty and I was exhausted. I need food, water and a bed. For someone who was supposed to be professional, she looked awfully nervous.

"This way, ma'am," she repeated. I held back my anger to go into the room she instructed. It had a table and two chairs, one of which I sat in. I sighed, leaning further into the seat the longer I was forced to sit here.

When the door opened again, I had expected to see the woman who sent me here. Instead I got Grayson. I thought maybe I must've been sleep deprived and was beginning to imagine things because I have no idea how Grayson could be here right now. But here he was.

Grayson in his black dress pants and black dress shirt that was unbuttoned at the top. His sleeves were rolled up and I didn't recognize the look on his face. I didn't recognize him at all. This look was not something he's ever given me and knowing he was giving it to me scared me. I watched him shut the door, slightly wishing he had left it open the slightest bit.

I shared a small smile. I didn't know what to do. Apologize? Explain myself? Stay firm? "How did you find me?"

"There's nowhere in this world I won't find you, Kalani," Grayson's voice was deep and rigid. That was both comforting and reassuring. "You signed a contract, Kalani."

A contract promising I would marry him and I hadn't thought about it when I left him. But there were many things I hadn't thought of when leaving. The only thing I could think of was my mother and Grayson's job.