thirteen

kalani depradine

Circumstances were not ideal, but I refused not to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. Despite Grayson and I being on rocky terms, I wasn't going to put anything on hold for him. I never planned on having kids, but having a baby is something people pray for and I can't take it for granted. Eva and Ariana helped me plan my baby shower. I didn't know it would require so much planning, but they did most of it.

The banquet hall was nicely decorated with cream and a soft brown. They truly out did themselves and one would assume this baby had royal blood or something. I have amazing friends. My guests looked amazing and seeing them beam about my pregnancy made me feel everything was going to be okay. I have this entire support system and I don't necessarily have to only rely on Grayson.

"You're really snacking over there huh?" Eva made fun of me while I enjoyed the snacks at the snack bar. But my cravings for candy were at an all time high.

I couldn't help but admire how beautiful my best friends looked today. Ariana's parents are from the Philippines, so she has this beautifully golden skin with long dark hair. Her eyes are this light brown colour with these soft freckles scattered along her cheeks. Eva was born in Armenia and moved here when she was young. She has these loose waves that sculpt her face with dark eyes surrounded by her long lashes. Unlike Ariana and I, she's tall and we've always tried to convince her to get into modelling because she's got all the right features for it.

"Let the woman eat," Ariana defended me by joining.

It felt amazingly refreshing to have them here with me along with my mother, sister and other friends. People bought gifts which was expected, but my heart still felt warm and mushy thinking about people going out of their way to buy things for my baby. Everything they say about it taking a village is true and I'm now seeing my village is quite large.

"The next game is blindfolded diaper changing. You ready?" Taya approached us and Eva's eyes widened.

"I really hope you don't think I will be changing any diapers. I will indeed be the cool aunt, but dirty diapers are an easy no for me," Eva made very clear. I rolled my eyes because I never expected for her to be one to change diapers anyways.

After cleaning my hands, I went to the table the activity would be taking place at.

"Kalani, honey, Grayson is here," my mother approached me and hearing his name completely electrocuted me.

I blocked him from my head and pretended he didn't exist. Blocking him out is quite hard when I look in the mirror and see my belly.

"Did you tell him to leave?" I nervously asked, feeling all my confidence of the day go away. Was he trying to ruin this day for me? Because it was working.

"I did but he said he wants to talk to you."

By the way my mother was speaking, it seemed as if she didn't put on much of a fight when telling him to leave. I never explained to her why Grayson and I aren't on good terms. Everyone thinks it's me making irrational decisions because of the hormones. I hoped Grayson and I would eventually resolve things, but I hated that he was choosing now to try and fix things. Our argument happened three days ago. Three days where he could've reached out but it was radio silence.

The entire hall went silent. I looked at the entrance, seeing Grayson walk in with a gift bag and flowers in hand. All the women in the room stared at him out of pure fascination. He wore a maroon suit with a black dress shirt under. I forced myself to look away because he did look good. Grayson always looks good.

"What are you doing here?" I barked at him, being angry he would show up here not only unannounced, but at all. I tried to keep my voice low and kept a smile on my face so I would not cause a scene.