twenty four

grayson astor

"I'm leaving for the weekend. Can I count on you to be professional while I'm gone?" I kept my eyes on my phone while Matthew and I waited for the elevator.

"You're leaving? Where?" Matthew curiously asked. If I didn't need him, I wouldn't have told him. But I needed him to fill in my spot while I was gone for the weekend. I wouldn't be having service or internet and I refused to get behind on my schedule.

"I'm going on a trip with Kalani. Her birthday is tomorrow so we are leaving tonight," I informed him before we stepped into the elevator for it to go down.

I didn't need to ask him what was going through his mind. Kalani and I coincidentally happen to have birthdays three days apart. The way things turn out, this will be the first time in all my life I've left work for my birthday. But it really wasn't for me. It was for Kalani.

"I don't want to hear it, Matthew. Your vexatious words are the last thing I need right now," I put my phone away with a sigh.

This trip is a surprise and despite how thoroughly planned I've made it, I know there's still room for her to say no. Amelia and her have an attachment and she would be hesitant about being away from her. I can't force her to come with me because she doesn't want to leave our child.

"Trisha will help you out this weekend, I'll send you her number later," I walked out of the elevator but he was stuck standing there like a deer in headlights.

"Who is Trisha?" He finally left the elevator after being deep in thought.

"My assistant," I answered with a duh tone.

"You're such a fucking dickwad. You work with her everyday and you don't even know her name is Tracey. What is wrong with you?" Matthew spoke the words everyone seems to enjoy saying to me—apparently, it's not okay to call people rude names unless it's to Grayson Astor. But learning her name is the least of my worries. Despite having her for a few months, I still expect she'll leave just like every other assistant. I'll learn her name after a year.

"Don't fuck up my work, Matthew. I'm trusting you." I don't ever trust anyone to do my work for me and that's partially because I never take time to myself. But I want to make Kalani's birthday special. It's the first birthday we'll be spending together. And I'm still in the works of earning her trust back.

"Yes, Mr. Astor," he teased while we split ways. My car arrived and I tipped the valet before getting inside. Kalani made me get rid of the tracker on her phone, so I unfortunately didn't know her every move. But she was getting better at giving me updates and she told me she went for a run with Amelia early in the morning but they are back home now.

My palms wouldn't stop sweating and I hated the nerves this was causing me. This is out of my realm. I don't do romantic gestures and plan spontaneous romantic trips. But this stuff is important to Kalani and I want to make her happy. I need to show her this is what our marriage will look like. Considering how she has yet to sign the prenup, she's clearly deep in thought about what it is she wants.

I parked my car in the driveway, going into the house through the front door. The further I walked into the house, I began hearing her conversation on the phone.

"That's sweet, Toby. Yeah, I don't think Gray has anything planned so I should be free for brunch," she stated and I wanted to rip her phone from her hands and throw it against the wall. I couldn't believe she'd think I wouldn't have anything planned for her birthday. I entered the kitchen seeing her seated on a barstool as she fed Amelia with the bottle. "Okay perfect. Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow," she set her phone down and smiled at me.