Chapter TwentyThree|~|Visions and Changes

Weedpaw watched Loudpaw stumble from the camp, stunned. Personally she was stunned too.

Now she was sure Harestar was crazy. Very, very crazy . . .

   /\_/\

   \ ~ /    

What worried her most was her assessment. If Stoneclaw assessed her, she wouldn't be able to get through. As much as she pitied the Carers she had no desire to join them. In two moons she would most probably become a warrior/carer.

"Weedpaw!" her mentor's voice interrupted her.

To her surprise Saffronstem and Harestar sat with each other. Either her mentor had been forced to do it or Saffronstem was going crazy.

She limped over to them. Harestar waited until she had sat down before she began.

Great another speech . . . was her first thought.

"I have decided that I am going to change your mentor Weedpaw."

Her head snapped up and she looked at Harestar with such surprise the she-cat narrowed her eyes.

"What do you m-"

"This is what I mean when I say that your apprentice has no respect for her elders. She is completely insolent!" Harestar spoke to Saffronstem as if Weedpaw had just disappeared.

"And plus," Harestar lowered her voice as if the cat she was about to insult wasn't the one she was talking to. "I don't want our apprentices being trained by a warrior who is, Twolegish."

Weedpaw opened her mouth but Saffronstem flicked her ears in warning. If she did protest it would just get worse for everyone.

Instead she just said. "Who will be my new mentor?"

The Leader's look in her eyes didn't make her feel overly confident.

"Stoneclaw."

   /\_/\
   \  ~  /    

"Claw! No, no, no! You have to get them on the top of their back, not by their flank! Again!"

Weedpaw was exhausted. Straight after Harestar's change in mentors and straight after Stoneclaw had come back from assessing Loudpaw - no one would know the result until the next day and Loudpaw was sworn to secrecy - he had gotten down to her training. Weedpaw would claw him in the face now if she wasn't so exhausted because right now there were better things to do that would help the clan after the attack. She could be helping her brother hunt or be helping Chevriltail with treating the cats. Not learning stupid battle moves.

"WEEDPAW!" a paw hit her in the head and she stumbled. "WAKEY, WAKEY!"

Stoneclaw glared down at her and she went straight back to practising the hard, complicated battle move. 

After a few more goes she landed badly and stumbled. Stoneclaw hissed at her.

Her lungs heaved but she tried again.

This time she tripped over her own feet and fell. She landed on her flank and couldn't find the strength to move.

Stoneclaw kicked her in the leg but she gave no reaction.

She shut her eyes and the world faded away.

  /\_/\
 \   ~  /   

The smell of leaf litter filled her nose and she forced herself to open her eyes.

"About time!" Stoneclaw glared down at her.

She ignored him and and focused on getting up. Her muscles screamed at her and she nearly collapsed again.