Chapter TwentySeven|~|Pretence

Weedpaw groggily opened her eyes, lifted her head and looked around her.

I give up on life.

She was in another Twoleg cage.

"You really didn't need to come back you know."

"Shut up you piece of Fox Dung," she hissed, not looking at Tiger.

"Now, now, don't swear at your father."

"SAY WHAT?!" Weedpaw jumped up and arched her back.

"What did you say your Mother's name was?"

"I never told you my Mother's name."

"Oh, meet my new friend, then, Saffronstem."

On the other side of Tiger sat Saffronstem, she was pressed up against the cage in excitement.

Weedpaw was torn, she didn't know whether to talk to Saffronstem or hiss at Tiger about his make believe games.

"Funny Tiger," she meowed. "I think you're a bit to old to play make believe."

"I'm not playing make believe, I am your Father."

Weedpaw looked over at Saffronstem, "What is he talking about?"

Maybe he went a bit crazy because of the long moons in these cages?

****
****

Pinepaw sat watching the camp entrance. He knew every blade of reed and every piece of thorn that was woven in there from the long nights of sitting and staring, waiting for Weedpaw to come home. Waiting. Waiting.

"You know you need to stop moping," Loudrush meowed and sat next to him.

He didn't answer.

"It's not going to do you any good."

Pinepaw snapped. "At least you knew where your sister was when she died! Weedpaw could be anywhere, dead, hurt or even lost!"

"At least you have hope," Loudrush replied sadly.

"Well you didn't have to spend your time waiting and waiting!"

"You don't need to sit here every night, waiting for her."

"So what do you think I should do?! Forget about her altogether?!"

"Well-"

Pinepaw gasped. "You, you, you SAVAGE!"

"No, Pinepaw!"

But Pinepaw was gone, he rushed out of the camp and ran and ran until he could run no more.

He collapsed into the undergrowth and panted heavily.

Weedpaw would come back, Weedpaw had to come back, she was all he had left.

****
****

"Well uh, you see," began Saffronstem looking a little flustered. "When I arrived here I told him about you and he said he knew you, so I asked if he had known your mother and it turns out, he was Roseheart's mate."

Weedpaw shut her eyes in annoyance. This is not what she had asked for.

"I. Don't. Care. Right. Now. I have a plan and no one is going to mess it up. No. One."

****
****

"Okay," Weedpaw tried her best to see the other cats in the cages in the faint moonlight. "Everyone ready?"

There was a chorus of "yes'" and Weedpaw nodded to Tiger. He pressed himself up against the back of his cage. Saffronstem put her paws through the bars and stretched as far as she could. Weedpaw took a deep a breath and hoped it didn't matter that Saffronstem was not asleep.