Dinner Part 2

Suddenly, the fat man stood up. His face was distorted from anger and beads of sweat appeared on his forehead.

'You are a spy! Akake, arrest her at once!' He screamed from the top of his lungs. I facepalmed myself.

'Do you really think my life is so boring that I would go spy on random country?' I asked annoyed.

'You are not a slave what else are you?' He spat out the words so quickly that I had a hard time understanding. He was shaking and had his palms clenched into fists.

'Sure! You see a free woman and instantly think she has to be a slave or a spy! Get out of your house more and maybe you will learn that not all women are ripped from their freedom' I said and angrily ate another olive almost choking on it.

'How dare...'

'ENOUGH!!' Akake shouted making everybody jump a little. We all turned to him. 'Arcadio, please enjoy the night instead of arguing with random people you meet, Era how about you show us that you are an entertainer like you said and not a spy?' He asked and looked at me. I breathed out to calm myself and smiled.

'Sure' He nod and turned to one of the maids.

'Bring her a cithara' he said and the woman left.

Soon she came back with what looked like lyre. I invisibly swallowed. Maid gave me the instrument and I examined it. It was a wooden instrument with two horn like parts that held strings between them. I held it in my right hand, with elbow outstretched and palm bent inwards. I didn't know what to do with my left hand so I simply put them on notes from the other side. It looked right to me. My fingers glided through hard strings and a melodic sound rang through the room. With a bit of adjustments I quickly found which string was a "do".

I looked at dinner attendees. They all were waiting for me to start.

'What would you like to hear?' I asked out of politeness while running through my memory of the songs I had learnt.

'About dark love!' Agape said with an evil smile and I looked at her surprised. Never held her for forbiden love type. Better than drugs by Skillet came into my mind and I felt a smirk come to my face while recalling the lyrics.

'I like you' I said to her and found the right notes. It won't be as heavy as the original song, but I knew how I could make traditional music a bit... dark per say. Let's just hope I don't alter the future.

I started beating the rhythm and the first line left my lips.

Feel your every heartbeat
Feel you on these empty nights
Calm the ache, stop the shakes
You clear my mind
You're my escape
From this messed up place
'Cause you let me forget
You numb my pain

How can I tell you just all that you are
What you do to me

You're better than drugs
your love is like wine
Feel you comin' on so fast
Feel you comin' to get me high
You're better than drugs
Addicted for life
Feel you comin' on so fast
Feel you comin' on to get me high

Feel you when I'm restless
Feel you when I cannot cope
You're my addiction, my prescription, my antidote
You kill the poison
Ease the suffering
Calm the rage when I'm afraid
To feel again

How can I tell you just all that you are
What you do to me

Feel your every heartbeat
Feel you on these empty nights
You're the strength of my life

Feel your every heartbeat
Feel you on these empty nights..
(feel you comin' on so fast,
feel you comin' on to get me high)
Feel your every heartbeat
Feel you come to get me high..
(feel you comin' on so fast,
feel you comin' on to get me high)

To get me high.....

I ended the last note and opened my eyes. They closed themselves when I got really into singing. When my eyes landed on people who were listening to me, I saw their eyes wide with amazement. I wasn't really that good, so I guess my song was the reall shock. I mean, I did sang about love and drugs.

Akake started to clap and everyone joined him. Except the fat man, of course. I got a bit embarrassed and felt my cheeks go pink.

'That was amazing!' Agape cheered and chuckled.

'Thanks' I said shyly

'That was... an interesting.. song' one of the guests said and I smirked.

'Not for your liking?' I asked and he laughed. It looked like he enjoyed so that was good.

'I liked it. It just that I have never heard a song like that' he said and I heard interest in his voice. Well, he is not getting information about the song. I might have altered the future already simply because I wanted to sing a song from my time, which was a stupid idea in general.

'Era, have you ever played with cithara?' Alkaios asked and I looked at the instrument. It had an interesting pattern on sides and it was quite light for it's size.

'No, it was the first time' I said and looked at him. He had unreadable expresion.

'You do know that this instrument is played only by professionals?' He said. My eyes went wide. I mastered this instrument like it was no big deal. Maybe because it resembles modern imstruments? Of course they do, we are talking about ancestors of modern instruments.

'Really? It wasn't that hard to play it' I said a bit nervous. Alkaios was watching me with his eagle eye while I tried to swallow another olive as normal as possible.

'You sure you are not with noble blood?' He asked raising his cup full with wine towards his lips. Why are they so obssesed with my status?

'No' I said and saw him open his mouth to interogate me further, but thankfully Hagne saved me.

'After such a wonderful performance, hot food is a must' she said and waved to maids to bring the real dinner.

Alkaios left me alone and turned his attention to Agape. I breathed out a bit and focused on the meal that was placed in front of me.