Third Home

After three hours of nonstop moving in a metal box between other different metal boxes, we finally pulled to a dirt road that went deep into a forest and up a hill.

While we were driving towards our destination, I watched the scenery change before my eyes. It started with dark buildings that reached the sky and blocked it and made you feel claustrophobic. Then it turned into lines of cute houses in all shapes, sizes and colours. I could see children play in yards while their mothers tended the gardens and fathers working on their cars. Other houses were completely closed off indicating that the families that owned them were not home. I continued to watch as those houses appeared less and less until vast fields took their places. It was like looking at a mosaic of green, brown and yellow.

But despite such a beautiful change, the sky never turned into a crystal blue or red like in Hades' timeline. It made me miss him even more.

When we pulled into a dirt road, it took us only couple minutes to reach a single house. It was made from logs stashed on one another with the base made out of stacked stone. The main door had two windows on its sides that reached the floor and I could see the front interior.

'Wait here' my father said and climbed out of the car. My mother and I watched my father's figure go inside and begin talk with someone I could not see from my spot. He took something from the stranger and left the building. Soon enough he was showing us a set of keys.

We moved further into the forest and left that wooden house behind us. After 5 minutes of bumping, jumping and shaking we finally drove to the same looking house like the one from before except there weren't any ground touching windows. Instead, there was a porch with railings and a rocking chair.

'We are here' my father said and gave me a key from the set. I climbed out of the car and breathed in deeply and then frowned. The air wasn't as light as in Hades' timeline.

Stop comparing everything! Just deal with your new situation and think positive!

'Dear? Are you alright?' My mother's voice brought me to reality from my scolding self.

'I'm just tired' I said and she smiled.

'Let's go check this place out and then we will leave you to rest, okay?' I just nod and followed them inside.

To my right was a small living room. Further to my right was a fireplace made out of rough stones with three red couches for two around it. It had a dark brown rug underneath that covered that whole cozy spot. By the front wall stood two bookcases full with old and worn out books. Further back I saw a small table with four chair. The entire wall next to it were made out of glass with sliding door that lead to another porch on the edge of the forest.

To my right was a small kitchen with all the furniture in light brown wood with black electronics. The kitchen and the living room were open and had no wall between them except a small gap where the hall would be if you put the walls.

I walked down the "corridor" and opened a door to my right revealing a black toilet with a shower and a basin. Next to the toilet was a door with a small storage room and at the end of the "corridor" stood spiral stairs.

'Era, you are not allowed to go into the forest' my father's strict voice rang from my right and I turned to him. He was looking through the massive windows into the forest.

'I'm not twelve, I go where I want' I said and began climbing up.

'You are living with us so you will listen to us!' My father shouted from the bottom of the stairs and I looked down at him. I didn't like his tone nor the fact that my mother wasn't trying to calm him down. She just stood by the bookcase, pretending to be interested in the collection before her. I say pretend because even from here, I was able to see her head turned a little bit to us. She was listening.

'I don't even remember you. For all I know, you might not be my father' I shot back and saw furry in his eyes, but I wasn't scared. I fought the God of Sky himself, with words and a little bit with kunais, and knew that I could take down the man before me.

'And if you think I spent all my "gone" time doing nothing then I warn you: try doing anything to me and I won't be afraid to put you down.' I air quoted the gone word and left my so called parents stunned.

I finally reached the top and saw two doors: one before me and one to my left. I chose the left one and walked into a small bedroom. The ceiling was shaped like a triangle and had a window in front of me. Under it was a thick mattress with animal pelt before it and dark green sheets. Two puffy pillows laid at the end of the bed and leaned by the wooden wall. To my right stood a table with a lonely chair and to my right stood a dresser and a small bookcase. All furniture were made from cherry tree and gave a dark, but cozy vibe.

I walked to my bed and dropped down. My thoughts instantly went to Hades, but they didn't continue for very long because before I know it, I was fast asleep.