4

The next day Prim and I were getting ready to go to the market to buy things my mother needed. I had gone hunting earlier that day but hadn't seen Gale. I admit that I did try very hard to avoid him, in fact, I tried almost too hard. I hunted in another part of the woods, one I knew Gale wouldn't even think of going for the fact that there were too many Tracker Jacker nests, or so I said. In truth that place barely has any predators and there are lots of things to hunt since we don't normally disturb that part of the forest. I had kept that place a secret since I knew my father liked to think of that as his special place. Now I'm grateful for that. I had gotten a lot of money.

When we were looking for some cloth my mother needed I noticed a dark haired boy with a huge swollen bruise on his cheek walking toward us.

"Who is that?" I asked. Prim raised her eyebrows and looked at me strangely.

"Gale," Prim whispered. Gale? That was Gale? What happened to his face? I hit him hard but did I really hit him that hard? Wow, maybe I'm stronger than I thought. That bruise on his cheek made him look weird, not so handsome anymore. But if you were looking at him from the opposite side then yes, he was still the same but looking at him from the front. . .well, he looked awful."Katniss!" Gale called. I bit my lip, not wanting to talk to him. I really wasn't ready to confront him right now. It was too soon! We just broke up yesterday for crying out loud! Besides it wasn't a good time to talk since I was still contemplating whether or not I should shoot him with an arrow. Hmm, I wondering what he would do with his lips all scared, he wouldn't be able to kiss anyone that's for sure. Just imagine kissing a guy with scarred, swollen lips. . . Ew.

"Katniss, should we leave?" Prim asked. She tugged on my arm, clearly she did want to leave.

"No," I said.

"What if he wants you back? Are you going to go back to him?" Prim asked. By the tone in her voice she clearly hoped I said no.

"Prim, i-"

"Katniss." Someone else called. I turned around and saw Peeta. Oh boy, Peeta and Gale coming toward me, this should be interesting.

"Peeta!" Prim exclaimed. She let go of my hand and ran toward Peeta. I was a little surprised by the familiarity between them. Had they meet before?

"Hello, Prim." Peeta said. Gale was standing in front of me by now but I pretended not to notice until Prim was once again at my side. Peeta too.

"Hello, Gale." Peeta said. He eyed the bruise on Gale's face then glanced at me.

"Katniss, can I talk to you?" Gale asked. Was he going to ask me out again? Yeah right. There was something else going on.

"Sure, what about?" I asked. I was surprised at how blasé my voice sounded. Gale looked at Peeta who was holding Prim's hand. Prim was trying not to glare at Gale while Peeta looked a little confused. I would have to tell him about it later.

"I meant -"

"Not alone, Gale, I'm staying with my sister." Prim said. I smiled at Gale.

"There you have it." I said. Peeta looked uncomfortable.

"Uhh, Katniss. . ." Peeta started. I knew he was about to leave but I didn't want him to. Is that bad? That I wanted him here?

"Stay," I said. "You can stay, Peeta." Peeta nodded but looked down at his shoes."Continue." Oh, you should just see this, it was really funny. Gale looked shocked and a little annoyed.

"I was wondering if we could be . . ." say it, Gale, say it! "Friends." He finished. Friends? Friends. What? I was silent for a second since my brain was still trying to process this. This was unexpected. Very unexpected. But I could deal, in fact this was better than I hoped. Now I will be able to do a little harm. . . no! no. stop thinking about the snakes, Katniss. Snakes and arrows, just a little payback. . . a little payback for messing with me. That wouldn't be too bad. . .for me. Eh, no! stop, Katniss! I wanted to smack myself for thinking about that. Sure Gale had been a jerk but he didn't deserve punishing, at least not with arrows.
Prim kicked me and I realized I had been lost in my thoughts for more than necessary.

"Uh, sure." I said.

"I was a little worried that Gale would be angry that you gave him a bruise." Peeta said. He smiled at me, I smiled back but it was more of an instinct - which was strange. It had taken me years to trust Gale and I began to trust Peeta in just a few short hours?
Maybe it's because of what he did, when we were little. Yes, I guess that's it. I've haven't talked to Peeta as much as I've talked to Gale but I guess I have been able to trust Peeta since that day with the bread. Since the day he saved my life. The boy with the bread.

"So what are you going to wear to the party thing in the capital" prim asked

"You are going with him?" Gale asked. "To the capitol?"

"Yes." Prim answered. What was wrong with Prim? She seemed to be a little too happy that I had left Gale. She also seemed really close to Peeta. I wonder what happened with them. Maybe they've talked before somewhere.

"To the capitol?" Gale said. He couldn't believe it.

"I guess." I said. Prim took my hand with her right. Her left and was still holding Peeta's hand. Yup, they have met before. More than once no doubt. Prim was nice but not super nice that she would trust someone since minute one, especially not someone who won the Hunger Games. But then again, Peeta didn't really kill anyone. No, Peeta was smart enough to avoid fight and when it did come down to the final two, he just let strange mutations eat his opponent and therefore won. Peeta didn't kill anyone during his time in the games. Peeta just survived the games. I guess that's another reason why I like him.Let's go now." Prim said. "Peeta, come on." She dragged us both away toward the Victors Village. We left Gale standing there looking - I don't want to be mean but he looked idiotic. Well, Gale, maybe leaving me was You Biggest Mistake, why don't you just admit it?