13

Prim P.O.V

To say dinner was awkward was an understatement. Between bites Gale and Peeta would end up glaring at each other. I was beginning to think that making Gale sit directly across from Peeta wasn't the best decision Katniss ever made.

"Stop glaring." Katniss hissed at Peeta. Peeta's gaze faded but you could still see the anger in his eyes. You could see Gale's anger all over his face. "Gale." Katniss warned.

"So, Peeta, this is your house right?" Gale said. "Not Haymitch."

"Yes," Peeta said somewhat nicely. "Why do you want to know?"

"No reason." Gale said. He took a bite of the steak. "Prim, do you stay over sometimes?" I was taken aback by the question.

"Only when Katniss stays." I said. "We have a sleepover type of thing. You know- movies, snacks, and stuff. We had a sleepover two days ago. It was fun. " I smiled. Next to me I heard Katniss groan. I looked at her and saw he was shaking her head at me.

"Sleepover, huh?" Gale said. A smile adorned his face. "Do you ever leave them alone, Prim? As in alone in a room together?" he asked. I was confused.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Gale." Katniss warned. "Knock it off." Gale ate more of his food.

"Don't be mad, Katniss, he's just jealous." Peeta said. "You never slept over at his house did you?" Katniss glared.

"Peeta, stop." She said. What were they talking about? Of course Katniss never slept over at Gale's house. He had too many siblings and they would never get any alone time. The only people that lived here were Peeta and his parents. His brothers had gotten married and moved out. The only reason I came was because my mother insisted.

"Okay," Peeta said. He took another sip of his water. All you could hear now was the forks scrape the plates and the occasional sip of water.

"Peeta, when are you going to show me the painting?" Katniss asked when the silence grew to annoying.

"When it's done." He said. Katniss sighed. Gale looked confused so I explained to him that Peeta was making a painting to give to her on her birthday next week.

"That's right, next week is your birthday." Gale said. "I almost forgot, you know with everything going on."

"Right, it has been an interesting month." I muttered. There was a moment of silence. Katniss stood up.

"I'm going to get the dessert." She said. "Be right back. Prim keep them under control." She added. I smiled.

"I'll try but you know kids never listen." I joked. Katniss smiled and went into the kitchen.

"So, You and Katniss." Gale said. He pushed his plate aside. "I knew it was coming since that day I found her talking to you." Gale shook his head in disbelief. "I couldn't believe it."

"It's your fault you know. You broke up with her." Peeta said. Gale smiled.

"Yes, I guess you're more like the rebound guy." Gale laughed. Peeta glared at him.

"What are you saying?" Peeta asked. I was tempted to break this up but it was just too entertaining to watch.

"I'm saying she only went out with you to get over me." Gale said. Oh oh. Peeta abruptly stood up. His hands clenched into fists. Gale stood up too.

"You still like her." Peeta said. It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

"I'm not saying I do but what if I do." Gale said. Peeta was about to reply when we heard a loud bang in the kitchen. Katniss had heard.

"Don't even think about it." Peeta hissed. "She's over you."

"I. Don't. Like. ." Gale said. "She's just my friend."

"Right." Peeta said. "And she will be just a friend as long as she's with me." Maybe it was time to break this up.

"Gale! Peeta!" Katniss yelled from the kitchen. "Stop it!" The both sat down. Their glares never faltered. I started to feel uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable.
It wasn't until Katniss came back that the glares disappeared somewhat.

"Chocolate cake, courtesy of Peeta." Katniss said. She set a chocolate cake down in the middle of the table. My mouth watered at the sight of it. Peeta always made the best cakes. She handed each of us a plate and gave each a piece.

"Yum." Gale said sarcastically. "Peeta can you try my piece first -you know so I know it's not poisoned." Katniss rolled her eyes.

"Peeta would never do such a thing." Katniss said. "You're the one who's good with traps." She added under her breath but everyone could still hear. She shot Gale an apologetic smile before looking down.

"Funny, Catnip." Gale said. He took a bite of his cake then a few seconds later stood up. Gale coughed and coughed and acted like he was choking. "He. . .poisoned. . .it!" Gale said. He fell to the floor theatrically. Katniss sighed. Peeta smiled.

"He's dead! Thank goodness! It worked!" Peeta laughed as he clapped. "Wonderful!" I stared with my mouth open at Peeta then I looked at Gale on the floor. Either he was a better actor than I thought or he really was dead. Gale really did look dead.

"Children." Katniss muttered. "Get up, Gale." Gale put one hand on the table to help himself up. He breathed heavily.

"I'm alive!" Gale exclaimed. "He tried to kill me! Katniss, lover boy tried to kill me!" Gale whined. I sighed. Unbelievable. They really are children after all.

"Aww, Katniss. Why did you bring him back?" Peeta said. Katniss swatted him on the arm again. Peeta sat down with an annoyed look. Gale sat down and ate his cake. When Gale was finished Peeta had still not taken one bite out of his cake. Katniss and I were already done.

"Hey, can I have more?" Gale asked. "Hate to admit it but that was good."

"Sure." Katniss said. Peeta nodded.

"Let me." Peeta said. He took his plate and before we knew what happened. Peeta threw the cake and it landed right in the middle of Gale's face. I gasped. Gale whipped his face. It was already turning red with anger.

"How dare you." Gale said. He went for the cake in the middle of the table, much to my horror, took a fistful of the cake and threw it at Peeta it hit Peeta on the cheek. Shoot. Next thing I knew there was cake flying all over the place. I gasped as it hit my head then katniss was hit with cake too. The room suddenly got cold. Everyone froze. Katniss was fuming mad.

"Put. The. Cake. Down." She said. Her voice was frightening calm. Peeta and Gale both put their pieces down. I secretly threw my piece of cake behind my back. Katniss started walking out of the room but stopped at the doorway.

"This room better be spotless by the time I get back." She said. i gave a smug smile at the guys and mouthed: clean. "I know you threw the cake too, Prim. Better get started." She left. I scowled. The guys smiled, i stuck my tongue out at them.

"Jerk." Peeta said.

"Jacka-"

"Clean!" Katniss yelled from upstairs. I knelt down and started cleaning up the pieces of cake. Peeta and Gale kept muttering insults to each other. I sighed. What an interesting day.