6

The next day at night, I was sitting with Prim in the living room drinking mint tea. She sat with Buttercup in her arms. My mother went to sleep early again.
Prim and I had spent the whole day with Peeta. We walked around and talked and laughed. It seemed like Prim was always with me now. Always keeping an eye on what Peeta and I do or say. Like today she had kept bugging Peeta to say something. I still remember their conversation exactly.
We had been walking around the Seam around five in the afternoon, eating the cookies Peeta made.

"Peeta, what about that girl you liked? Is she coming?" Prim suddenly asked. Peeta stiffened next to me. I found myself feeling a little unhappy that Prim had brought up such an unpleasing subject right now . . . at least it wasn't pleasing to me for some odd reason.

"You said you talked to her the other day." Prim continued. She had a smirk on her face.

"Uh, yeah." Peeta said. "She, um . . ." He trailed off. Prim smiled. I was feeling a little self-conscious right now. How many people had he invited? Maybe it wasn't that important that I be there.

"What was her name again?" Prim said. "I know it was the name of a flower, or plant, or maybe a root. . ." she trailed off thinking about it. So her name was of a plant. Interesting.

"Prim," Peeta said. "Not now." He whispered. She grinned.

Peeta sighed and shook his head. He glanced at me warily. I looked between Peeta and Prim. They were acting weird, well, Peeta was. Why didn't he want to talk about it? Then it hit me, what if the girl he liked didn't like him. That would make sense why he didn't want to talk about it.

"So, is she going?" I asked. Prim giggled and skipped ahead of us to pick a flower.

"Yes," Peeta said. I felt my heart sink which h was totally irrational. For me to feel upset I would have to like Peeta as more than a friend, which I didn't.

"Oh," I said. Oh? Is that really all I could say? "Do I know her?" I said later. Prim was back, she had a dandelion in her hand.

"Yes, you do." Prim giggled.

"Prim -" Peeta started.

"What's her name?" I interrupted. I was racking my brain to see who I knew with a name like a plant, root, or flower. All I could come up with was Prim. Prim? Prim! I tried to hide my gasp. No, that couldn't be it. Impossible. She was way too young. I ripped that thought from my head.

"Um, Katniss, I really have to go. Cinna said I had to be back before sunset. I'll come and see you tomorrow, Kay?" Peeta said. "Bye." He walked away quickly before I could say anything else. Prim sighed.

"Let's get home then." She said. I nodded and followed after her. She still had the bag full of cookies and was eating them. As she ate them I got the idea that she was annoyed at someone.

I looked back at Prim, the thoughts about Peeta liking her returned to my head. I must be crazy. All that time eating squirrel must be doing something to my brain. Or maybe the rabbit I had this morning wasn't cooked properly and I had that rabbit fever or something. Peeta couldn't possibly feel that way about prim. She was twelve for crying out loud! No, there must be something else.

"So what was with you today?" I asked. "With Peeta?" Prim shrugged.

"Nothing." She said. She rubbed Buttercup between the ears and looked away from me.

"Yesterday he said you got him to talk to the girl he liked." I said. "Was that true?"

"Sorta. He was willing to talk to her but he was too shy. All I had to do was give him a little push. I knew she would like him." Prim said. Then she smiled. "I was right." We were silent for a minute. "She's really nice, you know, and really, really pretty. Peeta has nothing to say about her but compliments."

"Oh, he must really like her." I said nonchalantly but by the look Prim gave me I knew she wasn't fooled. "You know I don't think I should go tomorrow." I said. Prim was silent.

"Why?" she asked. I shrugged.

"I would just get in the way. Clearly he wants to focus all his attention on her and I would just get in the way." I said.

"No, no, trust me, he wants you to come." Prim said. "And I mean really, really, really, wants you to come. More than anyone."

"Really?" I asked. This new revelation made me feel a little happy.

"Yes,"

"But what about the girl he likes?" I asked. "I can't go then. I'll just get in the way and -"

"He likes you, Katniss!" Prim burst. he- us- me - huh? Prim sighed and rubbed her temple. "I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that." she whispered. "But you were just going on and on and on!" She stood up and started pacing the room.

"Katniss, I expected you to be cleverer than that. I mean I was dropping hints all day! Come on!" Prim said. "is it really my fault that I burst! After hours and hours, you couldn't get it and now Peeta is going to kill me for telling you, ugh, you should have guessed this earlier!" she stood in front of me. Her hands on her hips and glared. "And you're not even listening to me!"

She poked my forehead, over and over, until I finally blinked. Peeta likes me?

"Peeta - me - likes?" I stuttered. "Me?" so that was why he suddenly left this afternoon and all those times Prim talked about the girl he liked all along she was trying to drop a hint!

"Yes," Prim said. "Don't tell him you know."

"Prim, now I really can't go tomorrow." I whispered. "It wouldn't be right and I don't even know why I said yes in the first place. What was I thinking?"

"You don't like him?" she asked. Her face fell. I sighed.

"I just got out of a relationship, I don't need to go to another one so soon." I sighed. "And with Peeta?"

"Please, just give him a chance." Prim said. "You have gotten to know him these past few days and I think you two are practically perfect for each other! Unlike Gale who flirts with every blonde he sees and -"

"Prim!" I said. "Will, you just stop talking."

"But Peeta-"

"I'll think about it, okay?" I said. "I'm going to bed now." I walked to the bedroom and laid down.

So, Peeta liked me? That was the reason he acted strangely every time Prim said something about the girl he liked, which was me. Me . . . in truth I didn't know how I felt about that. Peeta and I were just friends, or so I thought. I had enough romance when I was with Gale and I just didn't think I could be with someone else.
Peeta was handsome, as handsome as Gale, and that meant that i would have lots of competition. Even more with Peeta since he was a Victor and all. And if one day we got married and have kids then they will most likely go into The Game and I didn't want that.
I just meet Peeta a few days ago, well, not really since I've known him since I was Prim's age but I never actually talked to him.

"Give him a chance, Katniss." Prim whispered as she climbed into bed. I pretended to be asleep. Give him a chance . . . I don't know. I gave Gale a chance but things didn't go well and I've known him longer. I trusted Gale. I sighed and fell asleep quickly.

I might update later today if you guys Review. Tell me what ya think. (;