19

Epilogue

I watched as the two children ran around the meadow, oblivious as to what happened once in their play spot. They didn't know that it used to be a graveyard. Still is. The girl with her dark hair and blue eyes ran gracefully around the meadow, smiling while the light haired boy with gray eyes chased after her on her chubby legs.
I leaned against Peeta, his arms wrapped around me.

"I love you." He whispered in my ear. We had been through a lot but it was worth it. I felt his lips press against my cheek.

"Stop kissing." Johanna said as she came up behind us. I sighed.

"Finally." I said. "You're late." She lifted her hand to wipe away hair from her face and gave a clear view of the long scar that started from her hand and went all the way up to her shoulder. I could still remember exactly how she got that scar.
As soon as Dahlia saw Johanna she ran toward her aunt. Johanna picked her up in a giant hug. Liam, on the other hand, stayed back. He had only seen Johanna a few times before while Dahlia, being the oldest, had seen her numerous times. In fact, Dahlia actually liked Johanna believe it or not.

"I missed you." Dahlia said.

"Right." Johanna said. "Nice to see you, Liam." Liam hid behind Peeta.

"Don't be shy." I whispered to him. Johanna walked closer to us, still carrying Dahlia.

"It's fine, he isn't used to me." Johanna said. She put Dahlia down and whispered to us. "I talked to him." Peeta and I froze. We knew exactly who he was. Gale.

"What did he say?" I asked through my teeth. It came out as some type of hiss.

"He's sorry, it wasn't his fault, etc." she said. "He misses you." I swallowed back my insult. I had never talked to Gale after what he did to Prim. Prim . . . I sighed. Liam looked too much like Prim.
When I first saw him, I burst into tears. He was too much like Prim was. It was only when he opened his eyes for the first time that I knew he wasn't an exact replica of Prim. But he was close. If he didn't have those gray eyes I would have begun to think that Prim had somehow come back. It would eventually drive me insane.
Dahlia wasn't like Prim. She was more like me but also like Peeta. Stubborn, kind, carefree, what a kid should be. She knows about the rebellion. She just doesn't know how her mommy and daddy played a part in it.

"He doesn't dare come back, though." Johanna said. I shook my head as if to clear it.

"It doesn't matter, anyway." I said. "Let's go home." Dahlia and Liam followed us back home. Johanna was silent.

"When is Annie coming?" Peeta asked as he unlocked the door to our house. Dahlia and Liam went off somewhere to play.

"Right now." Annie answered. She had her son with her. Daren. He was as handsome as his father. Daren was thirteen now, the resemblance between him and Finnick was striking.

"Hi." Daren said.

"Hello, Daren, Annie." Peeta said. Dahlia ran toward Daren. It was clear to see she had a little crush on Daren even though he was eight years older.

"Hi, Daren." Dahlia said shyly.

"Hello, Dahlia." Daren said. "Want a candy bar?" Peeta and I smiled. He was like his father. Finnick had died during the rebellion, along with others.
I had meet Finnick, Johanna and some other victors during the Quell. Most of them are dead now.

"Sure." Dahlia said. Liam walked up behind his sister. Liam didn't like Daren. He was close to Dahlia, like Prim and I had been. Liam thought Daren stole Dahlias attention from him.
I looked at Annie and saw she was staring off into space. Annie had gotten somewhat better since the rebellion. She was still distant but for the sake of her son she had tried to fix that. Right now her eyes drifted off into space again.