Chapter 15 - Keon

I went already over the ten date quota. Keon and I have gone out already three times in the past two weeks and today is the fourth.

I enjoy his company so much. Nothing that I say or do is too much or too weird for him. I feel proud when we go out, and women stare at us. They probably can't believe that a small thing like me is dating that gorgeous man.

On Thursday, he and Taylor arrived at the same time to the barn. It was a bit awkward... well, for me. I introduced them, and they started talking immediately like old friends. He and Taylor have some friends in common. It was a bromance made in heaven, and I couldn't feel happier.

When he asked me if I wanted to be his date for his sister's birthday, I couldn't say no. I even asked Lisa for help. I don't think that my usual black jeans fit the dress code. She gave me a dark red dress with a low cut back. I groaned when I realized that I had to shave my legs. Then she hinted that since we are past the third date that our night might turn... heated.

After getting dressed, I took a photo of myself in the mirror and sent it to Taylor. I asked him if I looked too slutty. He only replied 'wow!' and nothing else. I will take it as a compliment.

I hear the door bell, and I smile. As I open it, I find Keon standing there dressed in a black suit. I melt a bit inside. I can't get over the idea of how beautiful are his eyes.

 I can't get over the idea of how beautiful are his eyes

"You look gorgeous as always. The women at the party will all die of envy," he says, giving me a light kiss on the lips.

"I hope you are right. I feel like a circus monkey in this. My sister threatened me with death if I put on sneakers instead of heels. I hope that I don't break my neck,"

"You won't. I'll be there to catch you,"

I smile in a goofy way. I'm leaning more and more towards the idea of losing my virginity tonight.

"Are there many people invited to the party?" I ask.

"Yeah, my sister is a social butterfly plus we have a big family. I'm the youngest of the siblings, and I have four sisters. My house was always a busy and loud chicken coop. What about your family?"

"Not as busy as yours. When my brother Elijah wasn't rescuing animals, he had friends over. They taught me role playing games and gave me their extra Pokemon cards. Lisa reached puberty quickly and was more interested in talking on the phone and boys. I found boys icky,"

"Hopefully you don't find them icky anymore," he says, giving me a little squeeze on my thigh.

I'm glad of the darkness inside the car so he can't see how red are my cheeks. The skin feels on fire, so they are probably glowing brighter than Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber.

 The skin feels on fire, so they are probably glowing brighter than Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber

We soon reach a hotel and leave the car at the valet. The people surrounding us are well dressed and look posh. I'm glad for Lisa's intervention as I don't look out of place. We follow the signs to a ballroom. The place is packed and looks elegant with its white and gold decorations. Golden balloons with the number forty float all over the ballroom and a DJ is playing some lounge music. The room gives the impression of a very trendy club.

We walk inside, and Keon introduces me to some people as his friend. I must admit that it stung a bit that he didn't present me as his date. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the idea that they all look at me with curious eyes or a bit of disgust.

"Hello baby brother," says the gorgeous woman dressed in gold that approaches Keon.

"Happy birthday sis," he says hugging her and handing her the gift.

"A Strawberry Shortcake!" she says and laughs. Before Keon gets to say anything, his sister walks to a table piled with gifts and tosses the doll.

She then returns and pulls Keon by the arm. "I have someone waiting for you," I hear her say. I follow from close by. He looks over his shoulder and gives me an apologetic smile. "Lara! Look who just arrived!"

A stunning woman dressed in white turns around. Keon smiles widely at her sight.

"I didn't know that you were back! When did this happen?" he says delightedly.

"Two days ago," he says in a voice that matches the sexiness of her honey colored eyes.

"As soon as I heard that she was back, I begged her to come to the party. Why don't you take her for a spin on the dance floor," Keon's sister says after making a signal to the DJ. A slow song starts.

"Just this once," Keon says as he walks by me with Lara.

"Don't they look perfect?" Keon's sister says to no one in particular.

"Are they cousins?" I ask. She finally sees me standing next to her.

"Oh no, that is my brother and his girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend. It is complicated, but they have never stopped loving each other. I don't think that we have met before. Who are you here with?"

"Your brother,"

She looks up and down at me and shakes her head.

"I think you have me confused with someone else. My brother didn't respond that he was coming with a guest,"

"You are Keon's sister, right?" I ask, feeling a bit confused.

"I am, but you are... No offense. You are not his type,"

"What is your brother's type then?"

I try to control my temper, but it is barely working.

"More like Lara. You know the type; career woman, that has seen the world, sexy as hell," she says nodding towards the dance floor.

I look at where she is staring. Lara cups Keon's cheek and kisses his lips lightly. I'm frozen to my spot. Keon smiles at Lara, but then looks at me panicked.

I stride towards the door and take the Strawberry Shortcake doll from the pile of gifts. Keon's sister doesn't deserve it.

"Nina! Stop! Please! I can explain," Keon says, holding my arm.

"There isn't much to explain. You love Lara, don't you?" I say calmly.

Keon stares at me. His mouth opens and closes, but no words come out.

"I'm so sorry," he finally says. "I didn't know that Lara was going to be here,"

"You haven't answered my question,"

"I- I don't know," he says defeated. "She got a job offer out of the country, and I couldn't leave my work here to follow her. The last month before she moved was difficult for us. I knew that it was an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime, so I sucked my feelings, hid my broken heart and let her go. We tried the long distance thing, but it isn't the same,"

"So the answer is yes,"

Keon nods and looks at the ground.

"I'm glad that you found the love of your life," I say, patting his arm. "It was nice meeting you. I wish you happiness,"

"I'm a horrible person," Keon says, looking truly ashamed.

"Not horrible. Just a fool in love," I say then kiss his cheek and hail a taxi.