Niffler

{EDITED 28/04/2022}

The three soon find themselves disapparating back onto the cold streets of New York,

Jacob leads them along a deserted street, either side are expensive looking jewellery shops standing tall with glass windows showcasing various luxury.

Newt goes ahead from them, scanning the shops for signs of any of his missing beasts.

The three continue along the street quietly until Newt breaks the silence. 

"I was watching you at dinner." he directs at Jacob.

"People like you, don't they Mr Kowalski." 

Jacob looks startled for a moment puzzled about Newt sudden declaration, 

 "Oh..well i'm sure people like you too..huh?" 

"No not really, I annoy people." Newt says rather bluntly and unconcerned about it.

Jacobs nods his head slowly clearly unsure of how to answer as they carry on walking.

"What got you into baking?" Evelyn asks trying to distract herself from feeling flustered, she's alongside Newt now and can feel the warmth of his arm lightly brush hers every few steps which is causing a warm pit of excitement to bubble in her stomach.

"I'm dying, working in the can factory, everyone's just wasting away." Jacob responds a fed up tone laces his voice.

"You like canned food?" Jacob asks to which Evelyn and Newt both shake their heads as a no to his answer.

"Canned food isn't the best, I miss really good food.. I remember back at Hogwarts they would have huge feasts every night and it all tasted so amazing." Evelyn reminisces smiling a sad smile at the thought of the place she use to call home.

"Hogwarts was home, my favourite place I'd do anything to be back there again." Evelyn's tone  softens.

"You went to Hogwarts?" Newt questions to which Jacob looks between the two confused as any muggle would be.. but he doesn't interrupt as he notices at the sad look on Evelyn's face.

"Hogwarts will be the only place I'll ever feel at home." Evelyn states trying her best to force a smile as she clears her throat.

"Anyway enough about that, my time at Hogwarts is a story for another day." She mutters.

"Back to the bakery why do you do it?" Evelyn questions eager to not reminisce anymore much to Jacob's delight,

"I want to make pastries, you know to make people happy" 

They turn on the pavement and head down around yet another corner of the street.

"So you didn't get your loan?" Evelyn asks remembering Queenie reading his mind earlier on.

"No i aint got collateral. Stayed in the army too long, i don't know."

They turn again,

 "You fought in the war?" Newt questions Jacob.

"Everyone fought in the war, didn't you?" A rather shocked look is now on his face.

Newt thinks for a bit as though trying to craft the best way to word what comes next, 

 "I worked mostly with dragons, eastern front." To which Evelyn lets out a small laugh at Jacob's expression at the word Dragon.

Then all at once Newt abruptly stops, his eye catching a small jewel on top of a car bonnet as  they follow a trail of diamonds scattered along the pavement leading up to one of jewellery shops.