Parent Problems

Parent AU
Prompt from Rumbledd

"$3.50"

The cashier spoke, eyes still on the small ginger in front of him. Kevin huffed, digging through his wallet as he pulled out a five dollar bill. Handing it over to the cashier Kevin waited for his change. A small hand suddenly entangled with his, the ginger looked down, smiling softly.

Standing on tippy toes in a pair of plastic yellow rain boots was another smaller ginger. Sun kissed freckles adorn the child's soft skin, a bright red teeshirt followed by a lavender tutu was the child's choice of clothing. Along with black leggings, and multiple beaded necklaces that were far to large.

The child blinked with hazel eyes,

"Daddy, are we gonna go to the park today?"

Kevin sighed, rubbing his over worked head as he placed his change in his wallet. Grabbing the bug juice and fishy crackers he had bought, handing them to the child.

"I'm not sure Elliot today was-"

He was cut off by small Elliots voice, speaking up.

"Daddy it's Ellie today! Remember!"

The child huffed upset with her daddy forgetting. Making sure he remembered, little Ellie twirled in her tutu, taking a sip of her juice. Kevin apologized, as Ellie happily accepted it. Walking out of the gas station, Kevin held Ellies hand tight, crossing the parking lot. Both gingers hopped into the car, well one did as another struggled due to her height. Kevin laughed,

"We can go to the park for about an hour, but that's it ok? Daddy's tired."

Ellie giggled, buckling her seat belt.

Once at the park, Ellie couldn't help herself. She jumped out, running to the other side of the car as she dragged her daddy out and towards the swing set. Kevin followed obediently, before he scooped little Ellie up in his arms, showering her in small kisses. The child giggled, happily running a hand accross Kevins chin.

"Daddy, you've got peach fuzzies all over your face."

She smiled, rubbing her cheek against Kevins. Kevin only laughed, keeping Ellie close. The smaller ginger giggled once more, placing a kiss on her daddys nose.

"Its called the start of a beard."

Kevin corrected, and Ellie wiggled, attempting to get out of Kevins grasp.
Kevin yawned, putting her down.

"Daddy, you've gotta shave it thennn!"

Kevin smiled

"Alright, alright, go have fun. Ill be right here watching you."

Kevin sat down on a bench, watching as Ellie ran off to the monkey bars. The ginger pulled out his phone, and plugged in his earbuds. Attempting to relax from his long day of work he closed his eyes, allowing his head to rest on his shoulder.

He woke from a poke to the cheek, catching himself in a snore he blinked opening his eyes. Rubbing at his lips, he caught a slight dribble of spit slipping from him mouth. He sighed, cursing himself for falling asleep in a public place, not to mention leaving Ellie unintended...

"Daddy?"

Kevin broke his train of thought, oh yeah, someone did wake him up...
He turned to Ellie, who stood beside a tall fugue, clothed in rather dark attire. In seeing this stranger with his child, Kevin shook away the lazy numbness of sleep and sprung up, pulling Ellie into his arms.

"Woah! Hey hey! Its alright!"

The stranger spoke as Kevin examined him in the dull light of the setting sun. He held his hands up in a defenseful stance, and Kevin tilted his head to the side.

"What are you doing with my..daughter?"

The ginger asked quietly, keeping his ferice green eyes locked on the male. The figure scratched at his neck, about to speak until Ellie raised her voice.

"This is my fault daddy..."

Ellie frowned, starring at the shadowed asphalt.

"I sorta ended up down town..."

She admited quietly, picking at her tutu.

"Downtown?! How did you get down there?!"

Kevin erupted in slight anger and disbelief.

"There was a parade, and I wanted to go....but I got lost and Eddward found me!"

She smiled and giggled, looking up at the figure.

"He bought me an icecream and asked me where my parents were! I told him you were at a park, but I couldn't remeber which one....so we went to every park in the area and now were here!"

Kevin sighed, looking to the figure, then back to Ellie.

"What did I say about taking things from strangers?"

He whispered quietly, as the now named figure, Eddward, laughed.

"I asked her the same thing.."

Kevin let off a soft smile, running a hand through his tangled ginger locks.
He laughed quietly, closing his eyes. Eddward joined in the slight laughter, and Ellie just looked up at both adults.

"Well...thank you for bringing her back..."

Kevin, spoke after awhile, the atmosphere seemed to dip into an akward silence afterwards.

"Oh yeah, uh...one word of advice."

Eddward spoke, as Kevin nodded, listening.

"Don't sleep on park benches, those things are littered with germs."

Kevin blinked in stunned disbelief, out of all things the stranger could have said, it was something as ridiculous as that? The ginger gave off a weird look as the stranger, Eddward, waved heading off for his own car in the desolate parking lot. Kevin gripped Ellies hand, pulling her off to their car.

How strange.

(ill be writing a part 2 for this.)