Our Past Doesn't Make Us

Lucy woke up to warm sheets and lovely smelling breakfast, last night had been filled with laughs and funny stories, Lucy's favourite being when Gray, Natsu and some guy called Elfman were all caught sneaking around school and were forced to clean it.

She wished she had that type of life, being care-free and nothing to stop you from being who you want.

"Lucy?" Erza called from the other side of the door and walked in, holding a tray and smiling "Morning, I thought you'd want breakfast, Natsu is downstairs, half asleep and  'rearing' to go."

At the mention of Natsu being there already, Lucy shot up and ran her fingers through her hair "Thank you Erza, tell him I won't be long." Erza nodded and walked out, leaving the tray on the bedside table.

There was pancakes, syrup and from what she could tell, tea, she'd never had breakfast in bed despite her up-bringing, it was seem as un-lady like and messy. So again, this was new.

Lucy got changed into a simple cotton grey hoodie, black jeans and a pink jumper, it'd surely keep her warm during these cold months.

"Natsu, I'm ready." Lucy said walking into the kitchen, holding the breakfast tray, he sat there smiling at her and chuckled "W-What?"

He leant back and put his feet on the table "Nothing, it's just you seemed so eager to come and be ready for me."

Rolling her eyes, the blonde laughed "In your dreams, anyway, it's just rude to keep someone waiting long."

He pouted and stood up "Might wanna bring another coat, it's snowing." He added pointing outside.

Snow.

That was something she hadn't seen since her mother died, it brang back fond memories, it was true it hadn't snowed since the day Lucy's mother died, it may be coincidence or it may be fate.

"I think I'll be fine." Lucy muttered "I didn't think it'd snow when I left."

Natsu nodded and turned to Erza and Jellal who were standing in the door way, smirks on their faces "Me and Lucy will be heading off now, I'll bring her back later, whenever we're finished anyway."

"Okay, just don't have too much fun!" Erza giggled nudging Jellal.

Ignoring them, Natsu and Lucy walked out, he wasn't lying, snow was piling on the floor, making Lucy sigh in happiness "I love the snow."

"Eh, it's okay, I prefer hot weather, I get a nice tan, we have a cool beach here, maybe I could take you during the sum-" He unlocked his car and laughed "Sorry, I remembered you're here for only a month."

Lucy sat down and noticed the car was still warm "I may come visit, depends how this friendship turns out ya'know." She smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Oh so ya wanna be friends?" He laughed making her raise an eyebrow "Just kidding, I know we're friends, from the moment you got me the burger yesterday."

He started the car and they sat in silence as Lucy watched the snow falling everywhere, she closed her eyes and thought about her father, how he never used to be cold, when Layla, her mother, used to be alive, he was so caring.

"Luce?" Natsu said nudging her "You're crying, you alright?"

The blonde looked around and noticed they were in the car park from yesterday "W-Was I?" She touched her face and felt the tears "I was just thinking about my father is all, and my mother."

"Tell me, we may have just met but I feel like you're holding something back, tell me about your father, your mother, your old life." Natsu said turning the radio down.

Lucy felt touched, again, she found herself being treated so kindly, it was still so foreign.

"Well, you know about my father, Jude Heartfilia and how he's a wealthy business man, you know he hit me because I didn't wanna get married but he was never like that."

Natsu stayed silent and she continued "Three years ago, my mother died from cancer and ever since then, he was cold, I know how he loved her, I always wanted something like that but then when I saw how broken he was, I knew that in the end, you end up alone, whether you're in love or not."

"So you're saying that the way your father suddenly changed, made you think differently about love?"

She nodded "I know it's stupid."

"No, it's not, I understand, my parents were killed in a house fire when I was four, my brother was sent to a mental hospital then I was adopted age five, and ever since then, I really didn't like getting close to people, ya'know, the fear they can leave in mere seconds scared me but then at school, everyone introduced me to cool things."

Lucy bit her lip and felt bad that she was acting like she had a tragic childhood "I think you deserve all those friends, I think I was destined to come here and meet you guys." Lucy smiled making Natsu ruffle her hair.

"Well I'm glad I've helped, let's go to that bookstore and then we gotta go to the game store." Natsu smiled nudging her.

"Sure thing." 

She had to wonder, how was he so comfortable with telling his backstory like that? It was so odd. But she felt strangely honoured that he opened up so easily to her.