Deal Me An Ace

I studied them for weeks, day after day, hour after hour, watching...waiting. I learned their routines, their favourite hang outs, their dealing arrangements, their families. I watched them night after night at the club, how they interacted with different people; women specifically. Tonight was the night that I put my plan into action...

I strutted over to my regular tabletop, my skin-tight, scarlet dress slightly hitching over my knee as I sat down, revealing my long legs. I waited a couple of minutes before deciding to glance over towards The Pythons. As predicted, Trent and Lola were slightly cuddled up, his arm slung over her shoulder while he laughed with Marcus. As I slightly glanced over the members, I discovered that Ace was already looking in my direction. His eyebrow was slightly raised as his eyes skimmed over my body before meeting my eyes. I gave him a flirty smile before glancing away...waiting for him to take the bait. I could practically hear the slow ticking of my watch as I waited.

A waitress, Lexi, I recalled her name to be from the information that Tessa gathered who had been working here for three years was approaching me with a glowing smile and a bottle of what looked like expensive wine.

"Oh sorry, I didn't order this" I said, acting confused.

"Oh I know, this is our most expensive brand of wine, compliments of that fine gentleman over there with the eyebrow piercing" she spoke, her voice like twinkling bells.

Glancing over towards the direction she gestured to, I once again made eye contact with Ace, he sent me a wink while smiling over towards me. I smirked over towards him before thanking Lexi for the drink. She sent me a knowing smile before walking off to serve another couple. I admired the bottle of wine, definitely expensive, before pouring myself a glass. Lifting the red filled glass, I looked back over towards Ace before raising my glass slightly and raising it to my lips.

'Hook, line and sinker' I thought smugly before drowning my drink.

I let my gaze linger over the various couples dancing around, so in love. I could feel my heart clench at the thought of Rin before it was replaced with anger as I remembered exactly why I was here.

'Wouldn't dad be proud if he saw me now' I thought, remembering all those times when my dad was desperate for me to take over the business.

*FLASHBACK*

The slight pitter-patter of rain drops was all that could be heard throughout the backyard, the metal of the chain connected to the swing was cold beneath my hands as I looked out at the garden. I could hear soft footsteps approaching me before glancing up towards the figure next to me, my father.

"Come on princess, one day it'll will be your responsibility to take care of The Ravens. You don't ever turn your back on the family" my dad said firmly as he stood beside me while I sat on the swing.

I let out a loud sigh before gently swaying on the swing, my midnight black hair softly flying in the wind as the rain drops slid gently down my face.

"Hey dad...do you think we'll ever get along with The Pythons, like they can't be all bad?" I asked curiously, my gaze falling upon my father's aging face as his eyes darkened at my question.

"The only good python is a dead python" he stated while resting a hand on my shoulder. "You remember that Katrina and one day when I'm not here anymore just remember you're a queen and a queen doesn't let anyone run her kingdom"

"Now what's a beautiful woman such as yourself doing sitting here all alone" a voice purred behind me.

I jumped as a voice interrupted my thoughts before I looked over my shoulder, standing there was Ace. My stomach coiled at the strong lingering scent of smoke on his breath. All I could feel was disgust at the man in front of me, his arrogance practically rolled off of him in waves.

"Well I'm not alone anymore" I said, falsely smiling.

He let out a bellowed laugh before sitting down next to me at the tabletop. He was so close that I could feel the heat from his body. I couldn't help but feel smug as I watched him. My mind flashed back to the days I spent watching him, he pried off of attention, I knew exactly how to manipulate him and what buttons to push.

"So is your name as beautiful as your face?" he flirted, prying for my name.

I let out my fakest giggle before responding with "Lucinda but my friends call me Lucy"

"Well, Lucy, I'm Rowan" he spoke politely, shaking my hand.

I was honestly amazed that he chose to refer to himself as Rowan instead of Ace. As I observed him up close, I could now see why so many women fell at his feet, while he may not look it, he was the perfect gentleman.

'It's probably just an act, it takes a true snake to summon you in before strangling you, only letting you realise in your last moments of death that you had been the prey' my inner conscience spoke.

"So do you like the music?" he asked randomly.

I blinked at him, my face scrunched in confusion at the random question before resuming to my face smiling face.

"Pardon?" I asked politely, confused at the question.

"Well, it's just I've noticed you around here for the past couple of months, I find it odd that a woman such as yourself would be here all by herself, I assumed perhaps it was the music" he spoke gently.

"The music isn't exactly my genre and unfortunately I haven't found the right companion to accompany me" I replied, slight worry evident in my voice at the thought that he observed me as I did him.

His face beamed at my lack of companionship before he gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"Well what kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't accompany you?" he chuckled.

I practically had to refrain myself from smirking at his reply, I had just found my way into the true Snake pit.